1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum involving reciprocal of binomial coeffients

1. Mar 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If $$a_n = \sum_{r=0}^{n} \frac{1}{\binom{n}{r}}$$
    Find $$\sum_{r=0}^{n} \frac{r}{\binom{n}{r}}$$ in terms of an and n

2. The attempt at a solution
    Let $$f(x) =\sum_{r=0}^{n} \frac{x^r}{\binom{n}{r}}$$
    Then, an = f(1).
    Observe that f'(1) is the required sum.
    I was thinking if I could find an expression for f(x) then I could obtain the required sum, but with no luck.
    Other than that I've tried expressing the binomial coefficients in terms of factorials, again in vain. So I am looking for some pointers that don't involve finding an by using Taylor series like I found on Google.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint: notice that ##\displaystyle \frac{r}{\binom{n}{r}}=\frac{r r! (n-r)!}{n!}=\frac{(r+1) r! (n-r)!}{n!}-\frac{1}{\binom{n}{r}}=\frac{(r+1)! (n-r)!}{n!}-\frac{1}{\binom{n}{r}}=\frac{(n+1)(r+1)! (n+1-r-1)!}{(n+1)!}-\frac{1}{\binom{n}{r}}=\frac{n+1}{\binom{n+1}{r+1}}-\frac{1}{\binom{n}{r}}##

Now take the sum for r=0 to r=n and see what it gives.

4. Mar 7, 2016 #3
    I got (n+1)*an+1-an-(n+1)
    How do I convert an+1 to an ?

5. Mar 7, 2016 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hoped that an expression including ##a_{n+1}## would be acceptable. If not, this is trickier than I thought.
    This paper gives a formula for ##a_n## (proof can be found here, the second proof is elementary), and from that you can derive ##a_{n+1}## in terms of ##a_n##. I doubt that this is how this exercise is intended to be solved. There must be an easier way ...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  6. Mar 7, 2016 #5
    And if you write ##f(r^\frac{1}{r}) = \sum_{r=0}^n \sum_{j=1}^r \frac{1}{C(n,r) }## and exchange the order of summation ? You will have ##f(r^\frac{1}{r})## function of ##a_1,...,a_n## ?

7. Mar 7, 2016 #6
    Gotcha, the trick is writing r as n - (n-r) in the first step and then using the property C(n, r) = C (n, n-r)

8. Mar 7, 2016 #7

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nice.

It gives ##\displaystyle \frac{r}{\binom{n}{r}}= \frac{n-(n-r)}{\binom{n}{r}}=\frac{n}{\binom{n}{r}}-\frac{(n-r)}{\binom{n}{n-r}}##, and then taking the sum for r=0 to r=n leads to the result.
    Indeed much simpler than actually computing ##a_n##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted