1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expression for pressure in a brake system - is this correct?

1. Mar 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Write an expression for the force applied to the brake caliper in the braking system(hydraulic) of a bicycle.

F= force applied to the brake lever
    a = distance between F and the pivot point of the brake lever.
    b= distance between pivot point and lever piston.
    d1= diameter of the piston on the brake handle
    d2 = diameter of piston on the brake caliper.

(PS English is not my mother tongue, so I might have used the wrong words for the different parts of the brake system. I do hope it's possible to understand what I mean.)

2. Relevant equations

Pascal's law

Force * arm

3. The attempt at a solution

Right away I'm thinking Pascal's law.

My first thought is to write pressure, p, = F1/d1 = F2/d2. I'm a bit unsure about where to incorporate distances a and b.
    I'm tempted to use force*arm and write the whole expression as p=(F1*a)/d1 = (F2*b)/d2, but is this correct...?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2013 #2
    You are thinking along the right lines, but you need some more structure to it. Let's start with the forces. The force applied is F; what is its moment about the pivot? What is the moment of the force generated at the piston? How are the two related?

4. Mar 17, 2013 #3
    Well, working on the assumption that moment force is force *length of the arm the force is working on, the amount about the pivot would be the applied force F*the distance a and the moment at the piston would be F*the distance b.
    The relation being that the force F is the same in both cases.

But, that's the same as what I wrote in my initial post so I suspect you might be thinking about something else...?

5. Mar 17, 2013 #4
    Why would the force at the piston equal F?

6. Mar 17, 2013 #5
    Indeed. I suspect it's a case of hurrying. "Pascal's law uses F/A. I already have a F in the assignment. Great!".

Would it be correct to use F = P*A where P would be the applied force and A would be the surface area of the pistons, and then multiply the results with the distances?

7. Mar 17, 2013 #6
    Before doing the hydraulic part, finish the mechanics. You have a lever, with given arms, and a given force applied to one arm. Find the force produced at the other arm.

8. Mar 17, 2013 #7
    So this part is correct?

I might be about to break some major rules of physics here, but I'm pretty much guessing now... Would the force on the piston be the amount about the pivot* distance b?

9. Mar 17, 2013 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted