Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Expression for the force on a particle

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass m is at rest at t=0. Its momentum for t>0 is given by Px=6t^2 kg m/s, where t is in s. Find an expression for Fx(t), the force exerted on the particle as a function of time.

2. Relevant equations

Px=MVx

3. The attempt at a solution

The question seems really simple but momentum confuses me. I know that momentum is related to the area under the Fx(t)curve between Ti and Tf by Pfx-Pix or the change in momentum, but I don't know where to go from there. Something to get me headed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hint: Newton's second law states that:

[tex] \vec{F} = \frac{d \vec{p}}{dt} [/tex]

4. Mar 4, 2008 #3
    so then it would be F=12t. That seems a little too easy. When they say Px would I also have to find Py in order to find the mag of P?

5. Mar 4, 2008 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe it is. What level of physics are you taking? Is it calculus-based? It's clear that you already know how to differentiate. If your prof expected you to be familar with calculus and to be aware that F = dp/dt was the true (most general) form of Newton's law, then yes, he has assigned a trivial problem. However, if you prof did not expect you to be familiar with calculus or F = dp/dt, then maybe he thought he had given you a stumper.

By the way, WERE you aware that F = dp/dt before I told you? If not, can you see that F = ma follows from this relation provided the mass of the particle is constant?

No. Why would you? They don't ask you for P or Py. They only ask for Px.

6. Mar 4, 2008 #5
    I am in calculus physics and I talked to my teacher and he didn't realize that he assigned such an easy problem :rofl:

I was aware that F = dp/dt before you told me but I didn't use it because I thought I was missing something because it seemed too simple of a problem considering it was among the more difficult problems at the end of the chapter.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook