Expression for V as a function of radius?

In summary, the electric field as a function of radius for a cylindrical capacitor can be found using Gauss' law. The equation for V(r) can be found by reversing the equation for V(r_0).
Mimi
I have given a cylindrical capacitor with an inner plate(radius=a) and variable radius r. I want to derive an expression, using Gauss's law, for the potential difference V between the inner plate and a point between the plates(radius=r) for the cylindrical capacitor as a function of the inner radius "a" and the variable radius "r".
I need to compare the theoretical equation with an empirical equation obtained from a plot of the radius from axis vs. the potential difference V...
Someone please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you just use Gauss' Law to find the electric field as a function of r then integrate to find the potential difference?

I found that change in potential is KQ/r, but I don't know if this is a theoretical equation for V(r).

Gauss' Law should give you a 1/r variation for the electric field so the potential should vary as ln(r).

Thank you..I see... so, is the equation V(r)= ln(r/a) a theoretical one!? Mmm...I am trying to construct a plot of radius vs. V using a semi-log paper, with Yaxis for the value of r (log). But my data(from actual experiment) for the V and r vary "constantly", like, when r=2cm (from the axis), V=4Volt, and at r=3cm, V=6Volt...as we had a positive side (source of current, 12V) at the outer ring. So, my graph is just a straight line without plotting on the semi-log paper. Maybe my data is wrong?

It's hard to say from what you have described whether your data is "wrong." There are a couple of factors to consider. First, the logarithmic dependence is for a cylindrical when the length (height) of the cylinder is very much larger than the diameter. Also, logarithmic variation is rather slow so that plotting over a small range of values will give the appearance of a straight line.

Thank you again! My graph with semi-log is a very very slow curve, but it seems to be fairly close to a straight line. I got an equation of a line for the r(m) vs. V(v); r = 0.0052V + 0.0272, so it is also V=1/0.0052r -0.0272. I am not sure if this is the "empirical" equation, and I don't know how to compare it with V(r)= ln(r/a). How can I compare the empirical slope with the theoretical slope? I also want to get the value of the inner radius "a" from the graph, BUT how? Can I just read it? (the measured value of "a" was 3cm)

If you got the equation from measurements then it is, by definition, empirical.

Since you're plotting r vs. V all you have to do is "reverse" the theoretical expression for V(r). So, for example, if your theoretical equation is

[tex]V(r) = V_0 ln \frac {r}{r_0}[/tex]

then

[tex]r = r_0 e^{V/V_0}[/tex]

Thank you for lots of help. I think I can get the empirical formula from data if I do the 'reverse' of v. Thank You!

1. What does "expression for V as a function of radius" mean?

It refers to the mathematical equation or formula that represents the relationship between the volume (V) of a three-dimensional object and its radius (r).

2. How is the expression for V as a function of radius derived?

The expression is derived by using the appropriate formula for finding the volume of the specific shape (such as a sphere or cylinder) and then substituting the variable for radius (r) for the value of the radius in the formula.

3. Can the expression for V as a function of radius be used for any shape?

No, the expression will vary depending on the shape of the object. Different shapes have different formulas for calculating volume, so the expression for V as a function of radius will only apply to objects with a specific shape.

4. Is the expression for V as a function of radius always the same for a particular shape?

No, the expression can vary depending on the specific variables used in the formula for calculating volume. For example, the formula for finding the volume of a cone can be expressed as V = (1/3)πr^2h or V = (1/3)πr^3, depending on whether the height (h) or the slant height (l) is used as a variable.

5. How can the expression for V as a function of radius be used in real-life applications?

The expression can be used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics to calculate the volume of objects with a specific shape. It can also be used to design and construct objects with desired volumes, such as storage containers or water tanks.