Expressions for \gamma and \theta in terms of \alpha and \beta?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Slepton
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



For a free particle, i have two expressions.

[tex]\varphi[/tex](x) = [tex]\alpha[/tex]eikx + [tex]\beta[/tex]e-ikx
and


[tex]\varphi[/tex](x) = [tex]\gamma[/tex]sin(kx) + [tex]\theta[/tex]cos(kx)

I have to determine expressions for [tex]\gamma[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex] in terms of [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex].


Homework Equations



sin(kx) = (eikx - e-ikx)/2i

cos(kx) = (eix + e-ix)/2


The Attempt at a Solution



I replaced sin and cosine in the second equation.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Slepton said:

The Attempt at a Solution



I replaced sin and cosine in the second equation.

That's a good start...what did you end up with?
 
replacing
alpha with A
beta with B
gamma with M
theta with N

I have,

2(Aeikx + Be-ikx) = -Meikx + Me-ikx + Neix + Ne-ix
 
Slepton said:
replacing
alpha with A
beta with B
gamma with M
theta with N

I have,

2(Aeikx + Be-ikx) = -Meikx + Me-ikx + Neix + Ne-ix

Good, now just group like terms together:

[itex]2(\alpha e^{ikx}+\beta e^{-ikx})=(\theta-\gamma)e^{ikx}+(\gamma+\theta)e^{-ikx}[/itex]

Surely you can see where to go from here?
 
actually that's where I'm stuck at. I know its should be something simpler but my system has lasted on me...
 
Surely you can see that [itex]2\alpha=\theta-\gamma[/itex] and [itex]2\beta=\theta+\gamma[/itex]...can't you?