1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform of periodic potential in crystal lattice

1. Mar 30, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    by58f4p.png

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started on (i) -- this is where I've gotten so far.

I am asked to compute the Fourier transform of a periodic potential, ##V(x)=\beta \cos(\frac{2\pi x}{a})## such that, $$\tilde{V}(k)=\frac{1}{L}\int_0^LV(x)e^{-ikx}\,dx$$ and hence show that it is non-zero for only two values of ##k##. I have, $$\tilde{V}(k)=\frac{\beta}{L}\int_0^L\cos(\frac{2\pi x}{a})e^{-ikx}\,dx.$$ According to Wolfram, this gives, $$\tilde{V}(k)=\frac{ia\beta e^{-ikL}(-ake^{ikL}+ak\cos(\frac{2\pi L}{a})+2i\pi\sin(\frac{2\pi L}{a}))}{L(a^2k^2-4\pi^2)}.$$ I am also given that ##L=Na##, ##N\in\mathbb{Z}^+##, such that the expression simplifies to, $$\frac{i\beta e^{-ikL}(-ake^{ikL}+ak)}{N(a^2k^2-4\pi^2)}.$$ From this we have, $$\tilde{V}(k)=\frac{ia\beta(ke^{-ikNa}-1)}{N(a^2k^2-4\pi^2)}.$$ However, given this, I have no idea how to show that this is not equal to ##0## for only two values of ##k##. I tried setting ##ke^{-ikNa}-1## to ##0##, such that, $$e^{-ikNa}=\frac{1}{k},$$ and solving for ##k##, however, I'm not sure if this is the correct approach.

Also, ##N\gg 1##.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2017 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

write [itex] \cos(\frac{2\pi x}{a})[/itex] in terms of complex exponentials and the first part will pop out immediately.

4. Mar 30, 2017 #3
    So for the very first part I have, $$\cos(\frac{2\pi x}{a})=\frac{e^{i2\pi x/a}+e^{-i2\pi x/a}}{2}.$$

I'm not sure how this will pull out a term.

5. Mar 30, 2017 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you do the integral, you'll get two values of [itex] k [/itex].

6. Apr 1, 2017 #5
    Okay... so I'll take the integral, $$\frac{\beta}{2L}\int_0^L (e^{i2\pi x/a}+e^{-i2\pi x/a})e^{-ikx}.$$ I get, $$\frac{\beta}{2L}\int_0^Le^{ix(2\pi/a-k)}+e^{-ix(2\pi/a+k)}.$$ This resolves to $$\frac{\beta}{2L}(\frac{2a\sin(L(2\pi/a+k))}{ak+2\pi}).$$ I'm still not sure how I'd manipulate this to pull out two values of ##k##.

7. Apr 1, 2017 #6

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Leave it as complex exponentials, the integral is the definition of the Kronecker [itex] \delta_{ij}[/itex]

8. Apr 1, 2017 #7
    Ah. Alright. So by definition, because we are integrating on the bound, ##[0,L]## we will have the following for the integral, $$\beta(\frac{1}{L}\int_0^L e^{-ix(k-2\pi/a)}\,dx+\frac{1}{L}\int_0^Le^{-ix(k+2\pi/a)}\,dx).$$ This evaluates to ##\beta(\delta_{k,\,2\pi/a}+\delta_{k,\,-2\pi/a})##, such that ##k=\pm \frac{2\pi}{a}##?

9. Apr 1, 2017 #8

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

exactly......

10. Apr 1, 2017 #9
    For the second part, we are given $$\psi(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{L}}\Sigma_G\tilde{u_Q}(G)e^{i(Q+G)x}.$$ This is the same as $$e^{iQx}\frac{1}{\sqrt{L}}\Sigma_G\tilde{u_Q}(G)e^{iGx}.$$ This is exactly, Bloch's theorem, ##\psi(x)=e^{ipx}u(x),## where ##u(x)## is periodic. We can then write the Schrodinger equation as, $$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}(e^{iQx}u(x))+e^{iQx}V(x)u(x)=e^{iQx}Eu(x).$$ This becomes, $$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(-Q^2u(x)+2iQu'(x)+u''(x))+V(x)u(x)=Eu(x).$$ We rewrite this as, $$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}u''(x)-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(2iQ)u'(x)+\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}Q^2u(x)=Eu(x).$$ My professor claims that this is equivalent to, $$\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(G^2+2GQ+Q^2)\tilde{u_Q}(G)+\Sigma_{G'}V(G-G')\tilde{u_Q}(G')=E\tilde{u_Q}(G)\to\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(G+Q)^2\tilde{u_Q}(G)+\Sigma_{G'}V(G-G')\tilde{u_Q}(G')=E\tilde{u_Q}(G).$$ The goal is naturally then to somehow subsitute in the expression we got from part (i) for potential. However, I'm confused on how to do this. I have that ##G=\frac{2n\pi}{a}## from translational invariance arguments. Are the ##G'##s simply the values pulled out by the Kronecker delta from part (i)? And if so, how would one find ##\tilde{u_Q}(G)##?

(Sorry, the reason I'm asking is because I'm not too familiar with Fourier expansions. I'm a visiting student at my current university, and never learned Fourier series at my home university.)

11. Apr 2, 2017 #10

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, the [itex] G'[/itex]'s are just the [itex] \pm\frac{2\pi n}{a}[/itex] from the first part. Your resulting equation should be a set of equations for [itex] \tilde{u}_Q(G)[/itex]

12. Apr 2, 2017 #11
    So we have, $$\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(G+Q)^2+\tilde{V}(G-\frac{2\pi}{a})\tilde{u_Q}(\frac{2\pi}{a})+\tilde{V}(G+\frac{2\pi}{a})\tilde{u_Q}(-\frac{2\pi}{a})=E\tilde{u_Q}(G).$$ We can subsitute ##G=\frac{2n\pi}{a}## in to get, $$\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(G+Q)^2+\tilde{V}(\frac{2\pi(n-1)}{a})\tilde{u_Q}(\frac{2\pi}{a})+\tilde{V}(\frac{2\pi(n+1)}{a})\tilde{u_Q}(-\frac{2\pi}{a})=E\tilde{u_Q}(G).$$ But isn't ##\tilde{V}=0## for all values besides ##\pm\frac{2\pi}{a}##?

13. Apr 2, 2017 #12

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

your missing a factor of [itex] \tilde{u}_Q[/itex] in the first part of your expressions. Yes, [itex] \tilde{V}[/itex] is zero for everything except [itex] \pm \frac{2\pi n}{a}[/itex]. you can write this as a matrix then find the eigenvalues for the [itex] \tilde{u}[/itex].

14. Apr 2, 2017 #13
    Alright, so then, $$\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(G+Q)^2\tilde{u_Q}(G)+\frac{\beta}{2}\tilde{u_Q}(\frac{2\pi}{a})+\frac{\beta}{2}\tilde{u_Q}(-\frac{2\pi}{a})=E\tilde{u_Q}(G)?$$

15. Apr 2, 2017 #14

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[itex] G = \pm\frac{2\pi n}{a}[/itex] gives you two equations.....

16. Apr 2, 2017 #15
    So for ##G=\frac{2n\pi}{a},## it's, $$\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(\frac{2n\pi}{a}+Q)^2\tilde{u_Q}(\frac{2n\pi}{a})+\tilde{V}(\frac{2n\pi}{a}-\frac{2\pi}{a})\tilde{u_Q}(\frac{2\pi}{a})+\tilde{V}(\frac{2n\pi}{a}+\frac{2\pi}{a})\tilde{u_Q}(-\frac{2\pi}{a})=E\tilde{u_Q}(G),$$ and for ##G=-\frac{2n\pi}{a}## it's, $$\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(-\frac{2n\pi}{a}+Q)^2\tilde{u_Q}(\frac{2n\pi}{a})+\tilde{V}(-\frac{2n\pi}{a}-\frac{2\pi}{a})\tilde{u_Q}(\frac{2\pi}{a})+\tilde{V}(-\frac{2n\pi}{a}+\frac{2\pi}{a})\tilde{u_Q}(-\frac{2\pi}{a})=E\tilde{u_Q}(G)?$$ Sorry, I kind of don't understand why there are two separate values of ##G##; isn't the summation over ##G'##?

17. Apr 2, 2017 #16

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have to sit down and think about it a little more.....

18. Apr 2, 2017 #17
    Thanks for all the help. Expanding that sum over ##G'## is proving very challenging for me because I'm not sure exactly what I'm summing over...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted