Extension of spring pulled at both ends

In summary, the spring with a spring constant of 50 N/m is pulled with a force of 10 N at both ends. The extension of the spring length is 0.2 m. This can be explained by the fact that the reaction force from the wall is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the pulling force, resulting in a net force on the spring of 0 N. The tension in the spring is not a single force, but rather a pair of equal and opposite forces at each end. Therefore, the magnitude of the tension is equal to the force at each end, which in this case is 10 N.
terryds

Homework Statement

A spring with spring constant 50 N/m is pulled with 10 N force at both ends of the spring.
So, the extension of spring length is..
A. 0.0 m
B. 0.1 m
C. 0.2 m
D. 0.3 m
E. 0.4 m

Homework Equations

F = k Δx

The Attempt at a Solution

F = 10 N <--- 0000000000000000000000 ----> F = 10 N

I think the Δx should be 20/50 = 0.4 m

But, the teacher said that it should be 0.2 m.
He said that it's like a common problem where the spring is attached to the wall, and we pull it.
The wall exerts the reaction force which magnitude is the same as the pulling force, but in opposite direction (reaction force).

But, then I think, if the reaction force given by the wall is the same magnitude as the action, the spring won't get stretched, right?
I think the reaction force must be less than the one I exert on the spring..

Which one is correct?? Please help me...
I somehow don't get the insight.

Physics news on Phys.org
terryds said:

Homework Statement

A spring with spring constant 50 N/m is pulled with 10 N force at both ends of the spring.
So, the extension of spring length is..
A. 0.0 m
B. 0.1 m
C. 0.2 m
D. 0.3 m
E. 0.4 m

Homework Equations

F = k Δx

The Attempt at a Solution

F = 10 N <--- 0000000000000000000000 ----> F = 10 N

I think the Δx should be 20/50 = 0.4 m

But, the teacher said that it should be 0.2 m.
He said that it's like a common problem where the spring is attached to the wall, and we pull it.
The wall exerts the reaction force which magnitude is the same as the pulling force, but in opposite direction (reaction force).

But, then I think, if the reaction force given by the wall is the same magnitude as the action, the spring won't get stretched, right?
The force is the same in magnitude but opposite in direction. That makes all the difference ...

Likes SammyS
rude man said:
The force is the same in magnitude but opposite in direction. That makes all the difference ...

So, you agree that the extension is 0.2 m ??

So, if the spring is attached to wall and then get pulled out, the wall gives a reaction which magnitude is the same as the pull force??

How come the spring get stretched if the net force working on it is zero?
Or, does it mean the spring get double-stretched since the force pulls both ends of the spring??
Please explain me the concept ._.

terryds said:
So, you agree that the extension is 0.2 m ??

So, if the spring is attached to wall and then get pulled out, the wall gives a reaction which magnitude is the same as the pull force??

How come the spring get stretched if the net force working on it is zero?
The net force on the spring is not zero. Force has magnitude AND DIRECTION. Force is pulling equally on both ends or it would accelerate per F = ma.
Or, does it mean the spring get double-stretched since the force pulls both ends of the spring??
This is a matter of definition. We say the spring constant is the force applied equal in magnitude but opposite in direction divided by the stretch of the spring.

rude man said:
The net force on the spring is not zero. Force has magnitude AND DIRECTION. Force is pulling equally on both ends or it would accelerate per F = ma.This is a matter of definition. We say the spring constant is the force applied equal in magnitude but opposite in direction divided by the stretch of the spring.

Why the net force is not zero?? I know the force has direction too -_-
The Free Body Diagram for the spring is like this, right?

(Assume 000000000 is a spring figure hahaha)

10 N (the reaction force) <-------- 0000000000000 -------> 10 N (The pulling force)

Because the direction is opposite, so the force cancels out, so net force is zero... So, the extension is zero

But, we can also make separate Free Body Diagram for both ends

000 -------> 10 N

Which means that the extension is 0.2 m at one end

10 N <-----000

That means the extension is 0.2 at the other end.
So, the extension is 0.2 + 0.2 = 0.4 m

So, which one is correct? Please help me

terryds said:
Why the net force is not zero?? I know the force has direction too -_-
The Free Body Diagram for the spring is like this, right?

(Assume 000000000 is a spring figure hahaha)

10 N (the reaction force) <-------- 0000000000000 -------> 10 N (The pulling force)

Because the direction is opposite, so the force cancels out, so net force is zero... So, the extension is zero

But, we can also make separate Free Body Diagram for both ends

000 -------> 10 N

Which means that the extension is 0.2 m at one end

10 N <-----000

That means the extension is 0.2 at the other end.
So, the extension is 0.2 + 0.2 = 0.4 m

So, which one is correct? Please help me
It is a common pitfall to think of a tension or compression as a force. It is more like a pair of opposite forces, or maybe a continuous chain of pairs of opposite forces. If a body is under tension but not accelerating, it is necessarily subject to a pair of equal and opposite pulls.
Since the object under tension exerts a force at each end, we describe the magnitude of the tension as the magnitude of the force exerted at each end. Perhaps the convention could have been that the magnitude of the tension is the sum of the magnitudes of the forces at the end, but it isn't. So when we say the spring is under tension of 10N it is a matter of definition that it is pulling with a force of 10N at each end.
(Things do get a bit more complicated when the tension varies along the spring, of course.)

Likes terryds

1. What is the definition of "extension of spring pulled at both ends"?

The extension of spring pulled at both ends refers to the change in length of a spring when it is stretched or compressed by two equal and opposite forces at each end.

2. How is the extension of a spring calculated?

The extension of a spring can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the extension of a spring is directly proportional to the force applied to it. The formula is given by: extension = (force applied / spring constant).

3. What factors affect the extension of a spring pulled at both ends?

The extension of a spring pulled at both ends is affected by the material of the spring, its length, cross-sectional area, and the magnitude of the forces applied to it.

4. What is the significance of the extension of a spring pulled at both ends?

The extension of a spring pulled at both ends is an important concept in physics and engineering. It helps in understanding the behavior of elastic materials and is used in various applications such as in springs for cars, mattresses, and trampolines.

5. How can the extension of a spring pulled at both ends be controlled?

The extension of a spring pulled at both ends can be controlled by adjusting the forces applied to it or by changing its material, length, or cross-sectional area. Additionally, adding a support at the midpoint of the spring can also help in controlling its extension.