Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Extensive Wave Function Question

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass 'm' moves in a 1-dimensional harmonic oscillator potential. The particle is in the first excited state. Calculate < x >, < x^2 >, < p >, and < p^2 >.

2. Relevant equations

Harmonic oscillating potential ---> V = (1/2) K x^2

First excited state (n=2)

Schrodinger's Equation

3. The attempt at a solution

I will be alright once I figure out the correct wave function to apply to this scenario. We have a massive particle in a harmonic oscillating potential. This potential is independent of time. Do I simply use a "guess Solution" at ψ(x,t) and have indeterminable constants carried with me throughout this problem? Or is there a way to find a more precise wave function just from the potential that can be used for calculating average position, average momentum, etc..? I have all relevant materials and quantum mechanics text in front of me. Just need some extra light.

Thanks so much!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Haven't you already solved the Schrodinger equation for the simple harmonic oscillator? That's normally covered in a QM course.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook