1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave Functions With Same Energies Are the Same (only differ by a complex phase)

1. May 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume a particle with a wave function ##\psi(x)## such that ##-\infty < x < \infty##, that move under some potential ##V(x)##.

Show that:
    a) two wave functions with same energies can only differ by a complex phase;
    b) if the potential is real, then you can choose the wave function to be real as well;
    c) the wave function of the ground state (with real potential) doesn't change sign.

2. Relevant equations
    a) Schrodinger's time independent equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm stuck at (a). Need a push in the right direction for the very start.
    I want to show that if two wave functions ## \psi_1, \psi_2## satisfy
    $$ \psi_{1/2}''(x) + \frac{2m}{\hbar^2}\left(E-V(x)\right)\psi_{1/2}(x)=0$$
    then I can find an equation that ties them in a phase relation.
    But aside from writing this statement down, I don't know how to proceed. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. May 12, 2016 #3
    If the Hamiltonian be ##\hat H## and the two normalised energy eigen vectors be ##|\psi_1> ## and ##|\psi_2>##, then from Schroedinger's time independendent equation ##\hat H |\psi_1> = E|\psi_1>## and ##\hat H |\psi_2> = E|\psi_2>##. From these two equation you can conclude that ##|\psi_2> = c|\psi_1>##. Where ##c## is a complex number. Now as the wave vectors are normalised, you can write ##<\psi_2|\psi_2> = <\psi_1|c^* c|\psi_1> \Rightarrow <\psi_2|\psi_2> = c^* c <\psi_1|\psi_1> \Rightarrow c^*c =1##. Naturally ##c = exp (i \theta)##.

5. May 12, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It does not explain why in 1D system like the one considered in the problem, there can be no degeneracy. Your method can be applied, for example, to a hydrogen atom. We know that for quantum numbers ##n>1##, the eigenstates are degenerate and those eigenstates are not merely related by a complex constant.

6. May 12, 2016 #5
    Thanks for your replies!
    I managed both (a) and (b) and understood its underlying principles. I'm now left with (c).
    We were suggested to define ##\phi = |\psi_0|## where ##\psi_0## is the wave function of the ground state, and then express ##\phi## in terms of the Hamiltonian eigenvectors and find its energy. Then, use (b) to finish. But how can I express ##\phi## in terms of the eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian when I don't know what it is?

Ok got it... sorry, I should have given it more thought before throwing the question in the air.

7. May 12, 2016 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(c) asks you to prove that the ground state never crosses the x axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted