1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

External forces and external moments

1. Jul 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    While reading course lecture at ocw.mit i have stumpled upon such an equation

$$\dot H_O = \sum_{i=1}^n (\dot r_i \times m_i v_i) + \sum_{i=1}^n (r_i \times m_i \dot v_i) = 0 + \sum_{i=1}^n (r_i \times (F_i + \sum_{j=1, j\ne i}f_{ij} )) = \sum_{i=1}^n (r_i \times Fi) + \sum_{i=1}^n M_i$$

I don't understand from where term with ##M_i## came.

2. Relevant equations
    $$\begin{equation}r_i \times f_{ij} + r_j \times f_{ji} = (r_i − r_j ) \times f_{ij} = 0 \end{equation}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    Because of equation (1) ##\sum_{i=1}^n r_i \times \sum_{j=1, j\ne i} f_{ij} = 0##, so the term ##\sum_{i=1}^n M_i## came from nowhere.

And later they write: "Note that external forces in general produce unequal moments about O and G while applied external moments (torques) produce the same moment about O and G."

So what are these external moments and where they came from, and why they don't change?

EDIT: Oh, i see, probably it is all about force couples. They provide us with pure moment. Ok:) Though, would be nice to have somebody to confirm my guess.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think your interpretation is correct. I agree that the way they just threw in the sum over external couples M is confusing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted