External Power Supply or Put Regulator on Main PCB?

In summary: If you are powering lots of discrete devices off of a single 5V rail then it might make sense to have the power supply on the board.
saad87
I'm close to finishing my first 4-layer board. Initially, we felt that keeping the power supply as a separate unit would be better. This was because we wanted to avoid having heat on the main PCB - mostly because the area where the device is intended to be used is very hot and also quite dusty (heat from regulators would require ventilation, which would let a lot of dust in).

However, I was also told that by keeping the supply external we would need to have massive expensive capacitors on the main board to filter out noise.

So, as such, I'm debating weather I should keep my power regulators external or on the main PCB. I intend to go with linear regulators and require three rails - 1.8V, 3.3V and 5V. The majority of the current draw is on the 3.3 rail -- max 1A. The 5V is connected to a graphic LCD which draws a max. of 350mA. The 1.8V goes to the core of two CPLDs and I'm not yet sure how much this draws. Early power estimates suggest this is going to be less than 100mA.

I should add, the board is designed to be extendable. As in, additional daughter cards can be connected to it to extend it's functionality. However, these would not have a lot of current draw. But if I do go with regulators on the main PCB, I will obviously need to them on the daughter boards as well.

What would you folks think is a better solution? Is it possible that I can stick with linear regulators and use a package like D2Pak which allows good power dissipation and get away with not providing significant ventilation.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have a lot of analog circuit on board? If not, use a switching regulator. Not nearly as hot. I quit using linear regulator long time ago. Good layout practice goes a long way in preventing noise.

Any regulator that you could recommend? I would prefer a easy to use one as this would be the first time I implement switchers!

Too late tonight, I'll see what I can find. They do have 78SRxx by Powertrend those days. Look at Linear technology for some ICs that easily implemented into a switching regulator.

OK, I order a lot from DigiKey. This is a link so you can choose DC DC converters:

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/cat/power-supplies-board-mount/dc-dc-converters/4325599

Just use this link and look for others you want. I order from them, they might not be the cheapest, but they are fast and reliable. I am particular impressed with them when I am doing design on my own and order small quantity low cost items. They are fast in delivery. We used them when I was working too.

Thanks. I've already found some that I like.

One question I had though - is it worth it to integrate the power circuitry on the PCB? What is the disadvantage of keeping the power supply external?

If I keep the PSU external, I don't need ventilation for the main circuitry and it can be effectively shut. As I mentioned, dust can be an absolute killer here and so I feel there is a real advantage of keeping the PSU separate.

But is there any major disadvantage of having it external? Would appreciate some advice on this.

How cool does your board need to stay?
How clean does your power have to be?
What is the function of your board?

I think these are questions that need to be answered before deciding whether or not the power circuit should be external.

I would stay away from linear regulators, and I don't think you will have a huge problem with heat.

This is a solution that I have used before on my boards.
Use this http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM2576.pdf to regulate the input to 5V

and then use these http://www.linear.com/product/LTC3561A to regulate from 5V to your other voltages.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is also one I would consider (instead of the 2576) depending on your power requirements.

http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM5576.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
saad87 said:
Thanks. I've already found some that I like.

One question I had though - is it worth it to integrate the power circuitry on the PCB? What is the disadvantage of keeping the power supply external?

If I keep the PSU external, I don't need ventilation for the main circuitry and it can be effectively shut. As I mentioned, dust can be an absolute killer here and so I feel there is a real advantage of keeping the PSU separate.

But is there any major disadvantage of having it external? Would appreciate some advice on this.

Disadvantage of multiple supplies externally is you need big power pins to bus the power in. Also for 3.3 and particular 1.8V, there is not much room for voltage drop along the trace to get below the limit. I made it a point to bus only one voltage eg. 24V and derive all the other voltage from that within the board. Using those switcher IC and put in the necessary components is cheap and small. You just need to be careful with the stability. People that design power supplies have a big mis-conception that if you put a big cap at the output, you drown out all oscillation. You have to know how to tame power supply just like taming an opamp.

Even using off the shelf DC to DC converter, you still need to be careful to draw the minimum current specified to make sure the converter remain stable. If you draw too little current, the converter may get unstable and burst into oscillation...Which people mistaken to be noisy. They just say the converter get noisy when drawing too little current!

1. What is an external power supply?

An external power supply is a separate device that is used to provide power to a device or system. It is connected to the main device through a cable or cord and can be plugged into a power outlet.

2. Why would an external power supply be used instead of putting a regulator on the main PCB?

An external power supply may be used instead of a regulator on the main PCB for several reasons. It may be more cost-effective to use a pre-made external power supply rather than designing and implementing a regulator on the main PCB. Additionally, using an external power supply can help reduce heat and noise within the main device, as well as provide more flexibility in terms of power requirements.

3. What are the advantages of using a regulator on the main PCB?

Using a regulator on the main PCB allows for more control and customization of the power supply. It also eliminates the need for an external power supply, reducing the number of components and potential points of failure.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using an external power supply?

One potential disadvantage of using an external power supply is the risk of power interruption if the cord or cable becomes disconnected. It also adds an extra component that may need to be replaced or repaired if it fails.

5. How do I determine whether to use an external power supply or put a regulator on the main PCB?

The decision to use an external power supply or put a regulator on the main PCB will depend on several factors, including cost, power requirements, and the specific needs of the device. It is important to carefully consider these factors and weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.