Extinct Bird Spotted Photographed then Eaten

• Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bird
In summary, the conversation revolves around the discovery of an extinct bird and the possibility of finding live specimens. The participants also discuss the potential taste and tenderness of the bird's meat, as well as the idea of trading for live specimens.
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Yum-yum eat'em up.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/02/090218-extinct-bird-photo.html

Burp.

Well maybe now it's extinct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure two birds had to do it to make that bird. Start searching.

Cyrus said:
I'm pretty sure two birds had to do it to make that bird. Start searching.

Doesn't mean they are still alive. They were probably some hick's dinner last week.

Reminds me of the episode of Northern Exposure where Joel discovers that the locals often find woolly mammoths in the ice, and eat them.

Ivan Seeking said:
Reminds me of the episode of Northern Exposure where Joel discovers that the locals often find woolly mammoths in the ice, and eat them.

i bet the meat is delicious and incredibly tender.

If they really wanted specimens they should offer to trade 2 chickens and a 50lb bag of rice for the first 2 LIVE birds of that species brought in.

LowlyPion said:
If they really wanted specimens they should offer to trade 2 chickens and a 50lb bag of rice for the first 2 LIVE birds of that species brought in.
I bet they would have a dozen by sunset.

1. What is the significance of an extinct bird being spotted and photographed?

The sighting and photograph of an extinct bird is significant because it provides evidence that the species may still exist, offering hope for potential conservation efforts. It also allows scientists to study the bird's behavior and habitat, providing valuable information about the species.

2. How did the bird become extinct in the first place?

The extinction of a species can occur due to a variety of factors, such as habitat loss, climate change, hunting, and introduction of non-native species. In the case of the spotted and photographed extinct bird, it is possible that it was previously thought to be extinct due to human activities, but may have managed to survive in remote areas.

3. Why was the bird then eaten after being photographed?

It is unfortunate that the bird was eaten after being photographed, but it is possible that the photographer was not aware of the bird's extinct status or the significance of its sighting. In some cultures, there may also be a tradition of consuming rare or unusual animals, which may have influenced the decision to eat the bird.

4. How does this sighting impact conservation efforts for other extinct species?

The sighting and photograph of this extinct bird may bring attention to the importance of conservation efforts and the need to protect vulnerable species. It may also encourage further research and exploration in areas where other extinct species may still exist, potentially leading to their rediscovery and conservation.

5. What can be done to prevent the extinction of other bird species?

To prevent the extinction of other bird species, it is crucial to address the root causes of their decline, such as habitat destruction and climate change. Conservation efforts, such as protected areas, captive breeding programs, and sustainable hunting practices, can also play a significant role in preserving bird species. Additionally, raising awareness and promoting responsible behavior towards wildlife can help prevent the loss of valuable species in the future.