Extra credit Abstract limit question

In summary, the limit \lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{f(ax)-f(bx)}{x} can be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule or by using the definition of derivative, f'(0)=\lim_{h\to0}\ \frac{f(0+h)-f(0)}{h}. By applying the definition of derivative in the given limit, the answer is simplified to \lim_{x\to0}\ \frac{af'(ax)-af'(bx)}{1}, which can be evaluated easily since f'(0)=2.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Let f be a derivable function at 0 and f'(0)=2 and let a and b in ℝ.

Calculate the limit: [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{f(ax)-f(bx)}{x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure but i got 2a-b as my answer but i wan't to know how to solve it the proper way any help is very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

Let f be a derivable function at 0 and f'(0)=2 and let a and b in ℝ.

Calculate the limit: [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{f(ax)-f(bx)}{x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure but i got 2a-b as my answer but i want to know how to solve it the proper way any help is very much appreciated.
2a-b is not the correct answer. 2(a-b), or a-b may possibly be the answer.

Write f ' (0) as a limit & see where you need to go from there.

The limit is of indeterminate form [tex]\frac{0}{0}[/tex] so you can apply L'Hopital's rule to it to get the limit
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{af'(ax)-af'(bx)}{1}[/tex]

which since we know [tex]f'(0)=2[/tex]

should be easy to evaluate.

You could also do it directly. Add and subtract f(0) in the numerator, split it up and apply changes of variable like u=ax and v=bx.

SammyS said:
2a-b is not the correct answer. 2(a-b), or a-b may possibly be the answer.

Write f ' (0) as a limit & see where you need to go from there.

InfinityZero said:
The limit is of indeterminate form [tex]\frac{0}{0}[/tex] so you can apply L'Hopital's rule to it to get the limit
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{af'(ax)-af'(bx)}{1}[/tex]

which since we know [tex]f'(0)=2[/tex]

should be easy to evaluate.
That's not what I intended.

Use:
[itex]\displaystyle f'(0)=\lim_{h\to0}\ \frac{f(0+h)-f(0)}{h}[/itex]
Of course that's the same as [itex]\displaystyle f'(0)=\lim_{x\to0}\ \frac{f(x)-f(0)}{x}\ .[/itex]

Now try using that in the limit you're trying to evaluate. (In the way Dick mentioned.)

SammyS said:
That's not what I intended.

Use:
[itex]\displaystyle f'(0)=\lim_{h\to0}\ \frac{f(0+h)-f(0)}{h}[/itex]
Of course that's the same as [itex]\displaystyle f'(0)=\lim_{x\to0}\ \frac{f(x)-f(0)}{x}\ .[/itex]

Now try using that in the limit you're trying to evaluate. (In the way Dick mentioned.)

Wow thanks a lot i didn't realize it was that simple :).

1. What is an extra credit abstract limit question?

An extra credit abstract limit question is a type of question that tests a student's critical thinking and ability to synthesize information. It typically asks the student to analyze a complex topic or problem and come up with a creative and well-supported solution.

2. How is an extra credit abstract limit question different from a regular test question?

An extra credit abstract limit question differs from a regular test question in that it requires more in-depth thinking and analysis rather than just recalling information. It also often has multiple possible answers, rather than a single correct answer.

3. Are extra credit abstract limit questions common in science courses?

Yes, extra credit abstract limit questions are commonly used in science courses because they encourage students to think critically and apply their knowledge to real-world problems. They also allow students to demonstrate their understanding of complex concepts in a more creative way.

4. How can I prepare for an extra credit abstract limit question?

To prepare for an extra credit abstract limit question, it is important to review and understand the key concepts and information covered in the course. It can also be helpful to practice critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as brainstorming and organizing ideas to support your answer.

5. How can I improve my chances of getting extra credit on an abstract limit question?

To improve your chances of getting extra credit on an abstract limit question, make sure to carefully read and understand the question and any guidelines provided. Use critical thinking skills to analyze the problem and come up with a creative and well-supported solution. It can also be helpful to ask for feedback from your instructor and revise your answer accordingly.