1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extra Credit Problem from a past test

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    Messed this up.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know. I think you'd better post the full question. I can't make much sense out of that. I can't even figure out what the actual question is.

4. Nov 24, 2008 #3
    If the limit exists it must sure be L. Just define F by F(Xn)=F(Yn)=L and F(x)=0 else. Then F certainly does not have a limit as x-->c.

5. Nov 24, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think what you are asking is this: if [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}x_n= c[/itex] and [/itex]\lim_{y_n\rightarrow 0} y_n= c[/itex], [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}f(x_n)= L[/itex], and [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}f(y_n)= L[/itex], is it necessarily true that [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c}f(x)= L[/itex]?

The answer is no. What is true is that [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c} f(x)= L[/itex] if and only if [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} f(x_n}= L[/itex] for every sequence [itex]{x_n}[/itex] that converges to c. Just two sequences isn't enough.

For example, suppose f(x)= 0 if x is rational, 1 if x is irrational. Let [itex]{x_n}[/itex] and [itex]{y_n}[/itex] be two different sequences of rational numbers converging to 1. Then [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} f(x_n)= \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} g(x_n)= 0 but [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1} f(x)[/itex] does not exist.

Of course, if we know that [/itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c} f(x)[/itex] exists then one such sequence is sufficient to tell us what the limit is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?