Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Extra Que for Interest: Voltage and Wire Resistance

1. Feb 23, 2009 #1
    Hi! I was looking at notes about voltage and resistance, and this question popped into my head.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a certain length of wire ie)40m with an unknown resistance has a voltage of say 24V (random number) when hooked up to a battery, how does the voltage change throughout the circuit, or does it? ie) when a voltmeter is hooked up to a 10m segment of the wire anywhere on the wire, would the voltage increase or decrease?

2. Relevant equations
    P=IV
    R=pL/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure, but if i were to guess I would think of the wire as any other resistor and assuming resistance is constant throughout predict the same voltage? I'm probably completely off, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

By your second equation you have said you've traveled a 10m distance ... so what would the R be at that point?

Since it is something anyway, and if you are traveling from the positive terminal of the battery, then if there is a ΔR, there must be a ΔV.

Increase from the positive terminal? Does that really make sense? Of course the ΔV is going to be a drop.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook