1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extra Que for Interest: Voltage and Wire Resistance

1. Feb 23, 2009 #1
    Hi! I was looking at notes about voltage and resistance, and this question popped into my head.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a certain length of wire ie)40m with an unknown resistance has a voltage of say 24V (random number) when hooked up to a battery, how does the voltage change throughout the circuit, or does it? ie) when a voltmeter is hooked up to a 10m segment of the wire anywhere on the wire, would the voltage increase or decrease?

2. Relevant equations
    P=IV
    R=pL/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure, but if i were to guess I would think of the wire as any other resistor and assuming resistance is constant throughout predict the same voltage? I'm probably completely off, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

By your second equation you have said you've traveled a 10m distance ... so what would the R be at that point?

Since it is something anyway, and if you are traveling from the positive terminal of the battery, then if there is a ΔR, there must be a ΔV.

Increase from the positive terminal? Does that really make sense? Of course the ΔV is going to be a drop.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook