Finding the internal resistance of battery

In summary, the voltmeter has a resistance of 1 KΩ, so when you subtract the voltage lost across the internal resistor (0.9 V) from the measured voltage (1.5 V), you get 0.6 V. This is the voltage lost across the resistor in the circuit, so the current through the resistor is 0.6 I.
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

I measured a battery rated at 1.5V(ε) and get 0.9V out and want to calculate the internal resistance (r). So, I model the battery as an ideal voltage source and a resistor in parallel. I know the voltmeter has a resistance of 1kΩ (R). How do I calculate the internal resistance?

Homework Equations

V=IR, ∑V = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Subtracting 1.5-0.9 gives me 0.6V, this is the voltage lost across the internal resistor, so ΔV = 0.6V = Ir
I also know that the sum of the voltages around the circuit is zero, but I'm not sure if this means there is a voltage drop across the voltmeter resistor of 0.9V and across the internal "resistor" of 0.6V or if the internal voltage drop is equal to the voltage drop across the voltmeter. But, what I have done algebraically is this:

$$\epsilon = \Delta V_I + \Delta V_{vm} = I_ir+I_{vm}R $$

This is where I get stuck, I know what ##\epsilon## is and I know what the ##\Delta V##'s are, and I know what R is, but I don't know the current for the voltmeter or the current across the internal resistor, so I'm stuck. I have tried to use Ohm's law to express the currents as ##\frac{\Delta V_{i/vm}}{r/R}## but it just ends up being circular logic and I get some form of ##R_i = R_i##.

Physics news on Phys.org
rmiller70015 said:
I model the battery as an ideal voltage source and a resistor in parallel.
The resistor should be in series with the ideal source.

Likes rmiller70015
David Lewis said:
The resistor should be in series with the ideal source.
I screwed up I meant the resistor is in series with voltage source and the voltmeter resistor is in parallel with the internal resistor.

It helps to make a quick sketch of the circuit. I think the voltmeter, ideal source and Thevenin resistor are all in series.

Likes rmiller70015
If I were to physically connect the voltmeter to the circuit wouldn't it be on either side of the resistor, putting the voltmeter resistor in parallel with the internal resistor, or would the resistors be in series as a consequence of the internal resistor being theoretical?

I hope I understand the problem set up correctly. The voltmeter would not be on either side of the resistor. The black meter lead would be on the negative battery terminal, the red meter lead would be on the free end of the resistor (the end that's not connected to the positive battery terminal).

Likes rmiller70015
David Lewis said:
I hope I understand the problem set up correctly. The voltmeter would not be on either side of the resistor. The black meter lead would be on the negative battery terminal, the red meter lead would be on the free end of the resistor (the end that's not connected to the positive battery terminal).
Yes, that would be correct, so it would be in series then. Thank you very much.

Like this:

https://www.technologyuk.net/physics/electrical-principles/images/internal_resistance_01.gif
internal_resistance_01.gif

Measure the voltage without the load resistor first (so no voltage drop across Rint), and then with the external load resistor in place.

Likes rmiller70015
Hi I would hope the multimeter has a much greater internal resistance in the voltage measurement mode than 1K. At a 1K internal resistance the meter would likely load the circuit down and give you a false reading. My fluke 87v has a 10 Mega ohm internal resistance. It does not load down most of my electronic projects

Inventive said:
Hi I would hope the multimeter has a much greater internal resistance in the voltage measurement mode than 1K. At a 1K internal resistance the meter would likely load the circuit down and give you a false reading. My fluke 87v has a 10 Mega ohm internal resistance. It does not load down most of my electronic projects
Don't confuse real-life scenarios with academic exercises :smile:

If the given problem says that the meter has a 1 KΩ resistance, you've got to take that as a given.

Thank you for pointing that out. I will look more closely at how the question is being asked in the future. It’s been a while since I have been in college

1. What is the purpose of finding the internal resistance of a battery?

The internal resistance of a battery is a measure of its ability to deliver current. It is an important factor in determining the performance and efficiency of the battery in different applications. By knowing the internal resistance, we can better understand how the battery will behave in a given circuit and make informed decisions about its usage.

2. How is the internal resistance of a battery measured?

The internal resistance of a battery is typically measured by connecting it to a known load and measuring the voltage drop across the load. Using Ohm's Law, the internal resistance can then be calculated by dividing the voltage drop by the current flowing through the circuit.

3. What factors can affect the internal resistance of a battery?

The internal resistance of a battery can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as the type and chemistry of the battery, its age and condition, temperature, and the load connected to it. In general, the internal resistance will increase as the battery ages and as the load increases.

4. How does the internal resistance of a battery affect its performance?

The internal resistance of a battery can have a significant impact on its performance. A higher internal resistance means that the battery will have a harder time delivering current, resulting in a drop in voltage and reduced power output. It can also cause the battery to heat up and decrease its overall lifespan.

5. Can the internal resistance of a battery be reduced?

While the internal resistance of a battery cannot be eliminated, it can be reduced through proper maintenance and usage. This includes using the battery in optimal temperature conditions, avoiding overcharging and deep discharging, and choosing the appropriate load for the battery. Using a battery with a lower internal resistance can also help improve its overall performance.