What Does the 10% Resistance Boundary Mean in Circuit Measurements?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Daniel2244
Messages
125
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement


if someone could help me with this it would be much appreciated. In physics, I used a 98Ω resistor in a series circuit and measured the current and voltage output from battery, using the current and voltage I calculated the resistance. I=0.0094A V=1 Rt=1/0.0094=106.38Ω even though it exceeded the RT 98 it's still in the 10% boundary.

Homework Equations


RT=R1+R2+...RN

The Attempt at a Solution


I don't understand what the 10% boundary means. Is it the error% of the resistor? so anything in the 10% boundary is correct but anything below/above is incorrect and there is something wrong with the circuit? for example, faults wires faulty DDM(digital multi-meter)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Resistance tolerances mean exactly what they say. 10% means that the value can vary by 10% (up or down)
 
phinds said:
Resistance tolerances mean exactly what they say. 10% means that the value can vary by 10% (up or down)
Thanks for clearing it up for me :)
 
You can buy resistors with various tolerance bands such as 10%, 5%, 2%,1% etc. The tighter the tolerance the more preferred values there are (can be) in the range without overlaps.
 
CWatters said:
You can buy resistors with various tolerance bands such as 10%, 5%, 2%,1% etc. The tighter the tolerance the more preferred values there are (can be) in the range without overlaps.
So would I ±10% for the value of a resistors stated by the manufacturer (200Ω) or by the resistance I measured (197Ω) using a ohmmeter?
 
Daniel2244 said:
So would I ±10% for the value of a resistors stated by the manufacturer (200Ω) or by the resistance I measured (197Ω) using a ohmmeter?
The resistor manufacturer guarantees their components to be within the stated tolerance.

The value that you read using a meter will tell you the actual value for your resistor to within the accuracy of your meter (Meters aren't perfect, either!).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CWatters
gneill said:
The resistor manufacturer guarantees their components to be within the stated tolerance.

The value that you read using a meter will tell you the actual value for your resistor to within the accuracy of your meter (Meters aren't perfect, either!).
Ok, thanks