Extra-Solar Planets and their stars wobble

In summary: TFM,In summary, an extra-solar planet has been detected by observing that its parent star had a radial velocity 'wobble' of amplitude 40 m/s. If the parent star has a mass of one Solar Mass, and the period of the 'wobble' is four days, find a lower limit for the mass of the planet in solar masses.
TFM
[SOLVED] Extra-Solar Planets and their stars wobble

Homework Statement

An extra-solar planet is detected by observing that its parent star had a radial velocity 'wobble' of amplitude 40 m/s. If the parent star has a mass of one Solar Mass, and the period of the 'wobble' is four days, find a lower limit for the mass of the planet in solar masses.

Homework Equations

[tex] F = \frac{GMm}{r^2} [/tex]

Kepler [tex] T^2 \propto R^3 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the radius of the planet using Keplers third law, assuming that the wobble's period will be the same as the planets period, since thewobble is due to the star/planet system orbiting a common centre of mass, but I am not sure how to fine the Mass, I think I need Netwtons Gravitational law, as stated above, but I am not sure how to find the gravitational force, F, exerted?

Any ideas?

TFM

Physics news on Phys.org
I bit on how I found the radius,

Using:

[tex] \frac{a^3}{p^2} = \frac{GM_{sun}}{4 \Pi^2} [/tex]

[tex] a^3 = p^2 \frac{GM_{sun}}{4 \Pi^2} [/tex]

Inserting the mass of Star and the Period (4*86400 seconds) Gave:

[tex] a^3 = (4*86400)^2 \frac{(6.67*10^{-11})(2*10^{30})}{4 \Pi^2} [/tex]

This gave the Semi-Major axis as 9.311 * 10^9 m

I am not sure now quite what to do next. My first thopught is to do:

[tex] F = \frac{GMm}{r^2} [/tex]

Since I know G, M r, and m is what I am trying to find out, but I do not know a vlaue for F.

Any ideas would be very greatly appreciated,

TFM

Is [tex] F = \frac{GMm}{r^2} [/tex] the right formula, or is there a better/more useful formula?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated,

TFM

Does anyone have any ideas, because it is due in soon and I am worried that it isn't going to be finsihed in time :frown:

TFM

TFM,

You're right about the period, so i'll continue from there.

You should continue by using Newton's gravitation law (as you've stated) but make this equal to the centripetal force required to make the orbit circular;

[tex] \frac{mv^2}{r} = \frac{GMm}{r^2} [/tex]

and solve to find the velocity of the planet.

Now just use a certain conservation law;

[tex]M_{star}V_{star} = m_{planet}v_{planet}[/tex]

being careful to use the correct units. Et voila, a lower limit for your planet. The reason it's a lower limit is to do with the fact that the measured doppler shift may not be perfectly down your line of sight, so indeed [tex]V_{star}[/tex] could be greater. If you were given an inclination of the orbit with your line of sight, you could revise this by:

[tex]\frac{K}{sin(i)}=V_{star}[/tex] where K is the observed doppler velocity.

PS. For your reference, the method you are talking about is called doppler spectroscopy.

Last edited:
Thanks for all you help, Astrorob. :smile:

I get a value of 6.68x10^26 kg

Thanks,

TFM

No problem, but remember that it asks for it in solar masses so you need to divide it by ~ [tex]2*10^{30}[/tex].

Thanks, I did actually do that - I probably should havbe put that answer down in here as well. :rolleyes:

I got a value of 0.000334 Solar Masses

TFM

OUt oif interest (and not part of the question) how realistic is this question?

The radius is 0.06 AU, which, comapred to Mercury's 0.38 AU, the planet seems to close to the sun - surely it would melt away?

TFM

TFM,

Due to its nature, unless you have a massive planet orbiting close to its parent star you will not be able to detect the slightest of wobbles it produces.

Doppler spectroscopy is a method which can only used to detect large planets close to their parent stars, commonly these are called "Hot Jupiters" (because they're large and not rocky). They cause the greatest disturbances and so are consequently more likely to be detected.

So to answer your question, the values seem reasonable (large mass, small radius of orbit..)

Last edited:
They must be very hot.

Thanks for the Info,

TFM

Thanks for the link, Most Interseting

TFM

1. How do we detect exoplanets through the wobble of their stars?

Scientists use a technique called the radial velocity method to detect exoplanets through the wobble of their stars. As a planet orbits a star, its gravitational pull causes the star to wobble slightly. This wobble can be detected by measuring the Doppler shift of the star's light as it moves towards and away from Earth.

2. What causes the wobble of a star?

The wobble of a star is caused by the gravitational pull of a nearby exoplanet. As the planet orbits the star, its gravitational pull causes the star to slightly shift in its position, resulting in a wobble. This wobble can be detected through the radial velocity method.

3. Can we determine the size and mass of an exoplanet through the wobble of its star?

Yes, the size and mass of an exoplanet can be determined through the wobble of its star. The amount of wobble can give scientists an estimate of the planet's mass, and the duration of the wobble can provide information about the planet's orbital period and distance from its star. Combining this data with other techniques, such as transit photometry, can help determine the size and composition of the planet.

4. Are all exoplanets detected through the wobble of their stars?

No, not all exoplanets are detected through the wobble of their stars. This method is most effective for detecting massive planets that are close to their stars, as they cause a larger wobble. Smaller planets or those with longer orbital periods may be detected through other methods, such as transit photometry or direct imaging.

5. How does the discovery of exoplanets through the wobble of their stars contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of exoplanets through the wobble of their stars has greatly expanded our understanding of the universe. It has shown that our solar system is not unique and that there are countless other planets orbiting other stars. This information has also allowed scientists to study the diversity of planetary systems and learn more about the formation and evolution of planets. Additionally, it has sparked further research and exploration into the potential for extraterrestrial life.