What is the mass of 55 Cancri in kg and solar masses?

• Thread starter Lauren0619
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, using the average of the R^3/T^2 values for planets c, f, and d, the mass of 55 Cancri is approximately 1.85x10^30 kg or 0.93 solar masses.
Lauren0619

Homework Statement

I have to find the mass of 55 Cancri in kg using the average orbits of 3 orbiting planets. Specifically, "Using the average of the values of R^3/T^2 that you filled in just for planets c, f, and d in #2, approximately what is the mass of 55 Cancri in kg?
planet c = 3.14 x 10^18
planet f = 3.16 x 10^18
planet d = 3.10 x 10^18

Then to convert the mass in kg to solar masses.

Homework Equations

M=(4pi^2/G)(R^3/T^2) With T equaling the period

The Attempt at a Solution

(3.14 x 10^18) + (3.16 x 10^18) + (3.10 x 10^18) / 3 = 7.3 x 10^31
M= (4pi^2/6.67x10^11)(7.3x10^18) = 1.73x10^31 kg

Is this correct? Or is this value in another form that I need to convert to kg?

And then would it convert to 8.70 Ms (solar masses)?

Please help! Thank you all!

Physics news on Phys.org
All of your data values are close to 3 x 1018, so I would expect their average to be similar. Check your average calculation.

Likes Lauren0619
gneill said:
All of your data values are close to 3 x 1018, so I would expect their average to be similar. Check your average calculation.
Thanks gneill! I redid the calculations. You were right. For my average I got 3.13x10^18. I plugged that into the formula to calculate mass and got 1.85x10^30 kg. Is this correct?

Yes, that looks much better.

Likes Lauren0619
gneill said:
Yes, that looks much better.
Cool! And just to be sure, this is in kilograms, right? I wasn't sure if there was a conversion that I needed to do that was missing.

Also, I redid the conversion to solar masses from kilograms and got .93Ms.

Lauren0619 said:
Cool! And just to be sure, this is in kilograms, right? I wasn't sure if there was a conversion that I needed to do that was missing.
Your problem statement didn't mention what units the R^3/T^2 values were given in so I can't say decisively, but it would make sense that they'd be in ##m^3/s^2##, giving you a result in kg.
Also, I redid the conversion to solar masses from kilograms and got .93Ms.
That looks reasonable.

Likes Lauren0619

What is the mass of 55 Cancri?

The mass of 55 Cancri is estimated to be approximately 0.8 times the mass of our sun, or 0.8 solar masses.

How was the mass of 55 Cancri determined?

The mass of 55 Cancri was determined through the use of radial velocity measurements. By observing the gravitational effects of the planet on the star, scientists were able to calculate the mass of 55 Cancri.

What units are used to measure the mass of 55 Cancri?

The mass of 55 Cancri is typically measured in units of solar masses, or multiples of the mass of our sun. It can also be expressed in kilograms or Earth masses.

Is the mass of 55 Cancri the same as its weight?

No, the mass of 55 Cancri is not the same as its weight. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight takes into account the gravitational force acting on the object. The weight of 55 Cancri would vary depending on its location in space.

Why is knowing the mass of 55 Cancri important?

Knowing the mass of 55 Cancri is important for understanding the properties and characteristics of the star and its planetary system. It can also provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of other stars and planetary systems in the universe.