Extracting characteristics from time series data

In summary, extracting characteristics from time series data can be done through techniques such as Fourier transform and ARIMA. These techniques help to identify dependencies and measure characteristics like trend linearity, peak and trough size, and time spent over certain values.
Richard_Steele
hi

I have a random set of time series data that is calculated after applying an algorithm to a main random time serie data, and really need to extract all the possible characteristics from the set. The goal is to measure those characteristics and perform some statistical graphs based on those measurements ad try to forecast what are the possible next behaviours of the main set.

At the moment I have observed the next characteristics:
  1. Trend linearity and curvature
  2. Size of peak and trough
  3. Time that the value is over 80 or under 20
  4. etc...
I think there are much more characteristics that can be observed. The problem is I cannot find a list with characteristics.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 493
Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is a very general model for time series called Auto Regressive Integrated Moving Average (ARIMA). It looks for dependencies between the current and prior values. There is a Box-Jenkins technique for modeling ARIMA processes and the tools are available in the R statistical package. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoregressive_integrated_moving_average and http://www.statoek.wiso.uni-goettingen.de/veranstaltungen/zeitreihen/sommer03/ts_r_intro.pdf

Likes Richard_Steele
Thank you very much guys, I have tried the techniques you mentioned and it worked very good, specially the ARIMA.

1. What is time series data?

Time series data is a type of data that is collected and recorded over a period of time at regular intervals. This data can be used to analyze trends, patterns, and changes over time.

2. How do you extract characteristics from time series data?

To extract characteristics from time series data, you can use statistical methods such as moving averages, trend analysis, and seasonal decomposition. You can also use machine learning algorithms to identify patterns and predict future values.

3. What are some common characteristics that can be extracted from time series data?

Some common characteristics that can be extracted from time series data include trend, seasonality, cyclicality, and irregular fluctuations. Other characteristics can include autocorrelation, volatility, and stationarity.

4. What are the challenges of extracting characteristics from time series data?

One of the main challenges of extracting characteristics from time series data is dealing with missing or incomplete data. Time series data can also be affected by outliers, which can impact the accuracy of the extracted characteristics. Another challenge is selecting the appropriate methods and algorithms for a specific type of time series data.

5. How can extracting characteristics from time series data be useful?

Extracting characteristics from time series data can provide valuable insights and help make predictions about future trends and patterns. This can be useful in various fields, such as finance, economics, weather forecasting, and market analysis. It can also be used for anomaly detection and identifying potential problems or opportunities.