Extraction of iron on a match head

In summary, sodium carbonate is needed to fuse the iron oxide and carbon together so that the carbon can be burned off in the match.
Moogie
Hi

Please look at this link. It is only very brief. It describes how to extract iron from iron oxide on a match head.

My questions are:

where does the carbon come from in this equation

Iron(III) oxide + carbon → iron + carbon dioxide

2Fe2O3(s) + 3C(s) → 4Fe(s) + 3CO2(g)

Is it from the wood in the match?

Why sodium carbonate is needed? The page says:
The sodium carbonate fuses easily and brings the iron oxide into close contact with the carbon.

I don't really know what that means

thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No link to look at.

Moogie said:
My questions are:
where does the carbon come from in this equation
Iron(III) oxide + carbon → iron + carbon dioxide

2Fe2O3(s) + 3C(s) → 4Fe(s) + 3CO2(g)

Is it from the wood in the match?
It seems so, it says to make the match burn to about half lenght.

Why sodium carbonate is needed? The page says:
The sodium carbonate fuses easily and brings the iron oxide into close contact with the carbon.
I don't really know what that means
IMO it means that sodium carbonate melts and so mixes iron oxide within the liquid phase, this shoud make the solid particles of oxide penetrate inside the carbon increasing the area of contact.

The carbon is added as an ingredient in the red part of the match. It can be present as carbon black and as a binder. The binders can be (but aren't necessarily limited to) gelatin or starch, both of which can be sources of carbon. Most match sticks (not the heads) are impregnated with paraffin which can volatilize and be a source of carbon as well. Of course there is the wood or paper substrate as well.

Sorry, I still don't understand why sodium carbonate is needed, thanks

I believe the match stick's head is just moistened a bit and rolled in some iron oxide followed by the sodium carbonate. If you have ever watched a match burst into flame you might expect a powder on its surface to be launched off into space! The sodium carbonate melts and keeps it put until the flame front reaches it and some chemistry has a chance to happen. Think of the sodium carbonate as this reaction's post it note... STAY THERE UNTIL I CAN DEAL WITH YOU.

Thank you.

1. How is iron extracted from a match head?

The extraction of iron from a match head involves a process called combustion, where the match head is burned in the presence of oxygen. During this process, the iron oxide (Fe2O3) in the match head combines with oxygen to form iron (Fe) and carbon dioxide (CO2).

2. What is the purpose of iron in a match head?

The purpose of iron in a match head is to act as a catalyst for the combustion reaction. It helps to initiate the reaction and sustain it, allowing the match to produce a flame.

3. Is the extraction of iron from a match head a sustainable process?

Yes, the extraction of iron from a match head is a sustainable process as it only involves the burning of the match head and does not require any additional resources or chemicals.

4. Can other metals be extracted from a match head?

No, only iron can be extracted from a match head as it is the only metal present in the match head. Other materials such as sulfur, phosphorus, and wood are also present, but they cannot be extracted through this process.

5. How does the extraction of iron on a match head relate to other industrial processes?

The extraction of iron on a match head is a simplified version of the industrial process of extracting iron from iron ore. Both involve the reduction of iron oxide to elemental iron, but the industrial process is more complex and requires different equipment and chemicals.