Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extreme case of relativitic momentum

1. Jan 8, 2009 #1

KFC

The relativitic momentum is given by

[tex] p = \frac{mv}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

or

[tex]
    p = \frac{\sqrt{E^2 - m_0^2c^4}}{c}
    [/tex]
    where [tex]m_0[/tex] is the rest mass.

I have two questions about the momentum

1) Are the momentum given by these two expression the same?

2) In extreme case (when v->c), the first expression will give infinite large momentum? How would that happen? If we use the second expression to find the momentum in extreme case, what will energy E there look like? Anyway, I just wonder how to find the momentum in extremem case.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2009 #2
    Start by expressing the momentum of a particle as

p=p'(1+V/u')/(1-VV/cc)^1/2 (1)
    In the limi case u'=c
    p=p'sqr[(1+V/c)/1-V/c]1/2 (2)
    equation (2) performing the transformation of the momentum of a photon.

4. Jan 8, 2009 #3

KFC

Thanks for your reply. But I have no idea how do you get this. What does u', p' and V represent?

5. Jan 8, 2009 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Small correction: in the equation above, [itex]m[/itex] should be [itex]m_0[/itex].

Yes. To show this, you need to use the following equation for energy:

[tex]E = \frac{m_0 c^2}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

As [itex]v \rightarrow c[/itex], [itex]\sqrt{1 - v^2 / c^2} \rightarrow 0[/itex]. But this is in the denominator, so the whole expression [itex]\rightarrow \infty[/itex].

The expression I gave for E also has [itex]\sqrt{1 - v^2 / c^2}[/itex] in its denominator, so [itex]E \rightarrow \infty[/itex] also.

6. Jan 8, 2009 #5

KFC

Thanks. But I think the momentum shouldn't be infinite large even when v->c. For example, a photon is moving at the speed of light, it still have a finite wavelength so the finite momentum, right? My question is how to find the finite momentum for extreme case.

7. Jan 8, 2009 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Your first formula for p, and the formula I gave for E, are not usable for photons, which have [itex]m_0 = 0[/itex] and [itex]v = c[/itex], because they both give 0/0 which is undefined mathematically.

Your second formula for p, on the other hand, is usable for photons, and gives p = E/c.

8. Jan 8, 2009 #7

clem

Science Advisor

The general equation v=pc/E, may clarify things for you.

9. Jan 8, 2009 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

The equation I find most useful is (E)2 - (pc)2 = (mc2)2. This is valid for all particles at all velocities.

10. Jan 8, 2009 #9
    o.k. Consider that the same tardyon (a particle the speed of which never exceeds c) is detected from the inertial reference frames I and I'. I' moves with constant speed V in the positive direction of the x,x' axes/ Let p and E be momentum and the energy of the tardyon when detected from I and I' respectively. The tardyon moves with speed u relative to I and with speed u' relative to I'. The momentum p and the energy of the tardyon are related in I by
    p=Eu/cc (1)
    and I' by
    p'=E'u'/cc (2)
    p and p' are related by the transformation equation [1]
    p=[p'+VE'/cc]/sqr(1-VV/cc)]= p'[1+V/u']]/sqr(1-VV/cc) (3)
    Replacing the tardyon considered so far by a photon (u'=c) (3) becomes
    p=p'sqr[(1+V/c)/(1-V/c) (4)
    equation (4) performing the transformation of the momentum of photons.
    [1] Robert Resnick, Introduction to Special Relativity (John Wiley and Sons New York, 1968) p.144 (Probably there are newer editions)

11. Jan 10, 2009 #10
    For question 1 my answer is: indeed these two equations are of the same family. Since T=mc^2-m_0c^2=E-m_c^2,
    you can refrase the formula for kinetic energy without the huge potential energy.
    Perhaps that will help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?