Extreme Ultraviolet light production -- Are the techniques used in lithography the only way?

• Thread starter YoshiBeans
  • Start date
My question is: if you had no requirements for specific wavelength, intensity, duration, etc., are there ways of producing euv light (<150nm) without billions of dollars of equipment and power requirements in the KWs at most. Any Ideas?

Answers and Replies

DaveE
Science Advisor
Gold Member
No. This is an area of technology where if you have to ask us, the answer is no.
BTW, "no requirements for specific wavelength, intensity, duration"; really?
Also, it's not billions, maybe a million dollars to do something useful with euv.

The closest cheap way that I know of would be a gas discharge lamp, Xe, Ar, Kr, Hg, etc. But you'll mostly get longer wavelengths.

Likes Astronuc, russ_watters, Rive and 1 other person
no requirements for specific wavelength, intensity, duration, etc. ... are there ways of producing euv light (<150nm)
Be more careful with your definitions, please. Right now, it includes soft X-ray too, and all you need for that is an old style CRT tube.

DaveE
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Be more careful with your definitions, please. Right now, it includes basic X-ray too, and all you need for that is an old style CRT tube.
Good point. Also cosmic rays, they're free.
The broader point is that NOBODY that needs EUV will have no specifications.
I'd also warn about skin cancer, burns, and cataracts, but this isn't actually going to happen, so I'm not worried.

Likes russ_watters and Rive
Wow, quick responses. Ok, fair points above, and I think I have my answer now anyway.
Just for the sake of completeness, I would be thinking of the range from approx. 125-150nm. Meaning the discharge lamps are unfortunately too long wave.

No. This is an area of technology where if you have to ask us, the answer is no.
BTW, "no requirements for specific wavelength, intensity, duration"; really?
Also, it's not billions, maybe a million dollars to do something useful with euv.

The closest cheap way that I know of would be a gas discharge lamp, Xe, Ar, Kr, Hg, etc. But you'll mostly get longer wavelengths.
Can i ask what you mean by "do something useful"?

DaveE
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Can i ask what you mean by "do something useful"?
IDK, maybe ask google? The only euv application that comes to my mind is lithography or maybe micromachining?

IDK, maybe ask google? The only euv application that comes to my mind is lithography or maybe micromachining?
Google was my first stop, hence my attempt to tap the big brains.

Appreciate the help all the same. Guess ill keep my fingers crossed for some significant innovation in the area.