F(avg) and Fmax during collision

• Thread starter keltix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the problem involves a superball hitting a wall with an initial velocity of 32 m/s and rebounding with the same speed. To find Fmax, the maximum magnitude of the force on the ball during the collision, we can use the equation change in momentum = Favg * change in time and break down the area under the Fmax curve into expressions involving Fmax. This results in Fmax being equal to twice the height of a rectangle of equal area, which can be solved for using simple geometry. The final answer is 160N.
keltix

Homework Statement

Superball Hits Wall Figure 7-24 shows an approximate plot of force magnitude versus time during the collision of a 60 g Superball with a wall. The initial velocity of the ball is 32 m/s perpendicular to the wall. It rebounds directly back with approximately the same speed, also perpendicular to the wall. What is Fmax, the maximum magnitude of the force on the ball during the collision?

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee9/locowise/10_32.gif"

Homework Equations

change in p= p(final)-p(initial)=Favg*change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

F(avg)= 657
But no idea how to find Fmax!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
keltix said:

Homework Statement

Superball Hits Wall Figure 7-24 shows an approximate plot of force magnitude versus time during the collision of a 60 g Superball with a wall. The initial velocity of the ball is 32 m/s perpendicular to the wall. It rebounds directly back with approximately the same speed, also perpendicular to the wall. What is Fmax, the maximum magnitude of the force on the ball during the collision?

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee9/locowise/10_32.gif"

Homework Equations

change in p= p(final)-p(initial)=Favg*change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

F(avg)= 657
But no idea how to find Fmax!

Just curious how did you calculate F (avg)?

Last edited by a moderator:
change in momentum=f(avg)*change in time

.058kg(-34-34)=(avg)*change in time

-3.944=f(avg)*.006s

im not sure about the negatives

keltix said:
change in momentum=f(avg)*change in time

.058kg(-34-34)=(avg)*change in time

-3.944=f(avg)*.006s

im not sure about the negatives

Ok, I'd got 640N but that's because we both took different masses? Now all I'm going to ask is this, if you were to get the average Force from the graph only (i.e let's pretend you could only work it out from the graph, and the F values were given) how would you do it?

sum all the forces and divide by the number of forces (integral?)

keltix said:
sum all the forces and divide by the number of forces (integral?)

Yep, but that is unnecessary here? What are you doing when you sum all those forces and divide by the number of forces?

taking the average

keltix said:
taking the average

Lol, yeah :rofl: should have said (other than taking the average)

What are you doing when you're intergrating something?

taking the area under curve

keltix said:
taking the area under curve

Correct!

When you're taking the average of any function what you are essentially doing is finding a rectangle of equal area that represents the area under the curve of that function.

The "height" of this rectangle will give the average value.. does this help?

ok but how do i find the area if i don't have the height

You have the area (the integral) and you have one of the sides (the time duration of the impulse). The F_avg is easily found with this info.

Im not trying to find the Favg

keltix said:
ok but how do i find the area if i don't have the height

The area of you're rectangle is equal to some height on the y-axis multiplied by the some length l on the x-axis.

If I told you the length of your rectangle was 6 (seconds).

Now look at your graph what is the height equal to?

What I'm trying to get you to realize here is that the area, can be redrawn as a single rectangle, the value of the height of this rectangle will give you the average.

So what if you were to convert the region under curve into a rectangle of equal area?
Hopefully you would notice that the height of this rectangle is exactly half the height of highest point of the curve in your given question.
Just mess around with at bit and you should see it.

Now, this means that Fmax is equal to twice the height of a rectangle of equal area .. ..

Sorry, I read the wrong post. It's simple geometry to find Fmax... Since you know what the impulse is (Favg * dt) all you have to do is break down the area under the Fmax curve into expressions involving Fmax. The left and right triangles are obviously 1/3dt * 1/2 * Fmax and the central block is a rectangle with base 1/3dt and height Fmax. Just solve for Fmax...

Ans=160N

What is F(avg) and Fmax during collision?

F(avg) and Fmax are both measurements of force during a collision. F(avg) is the average force exerted over a certain period of time, while Fmax is the maximum force exerted at any point during the collision.

How are F(avg) and Fmax calculated?

F(avg) is calculated by dividing the total force exerted during a collision by the duration of the collision. Fmax is calculated by measuring the peak force recorded during the collision.

Why are F(avg) and Fmax important in collision studies?

F(avg) and Fmax provide valuable information about the intensity and severity of a collision. They can help researchers understand the potential for injury or damage in different types of collisions and inform safety measures.

What factors can affect F(avg) and Fmax during a collision?

The speed, mass, and angle of the colliding objects, as well as the materials involved and any external forces, can all affect F(avg) and Fmax during a collision.

How can F(avg) and Fmax be measured?

F(avg) and Fmax can be measured using specialized instruments such as force sensors or accelerometers. These devices can record and analyze the force exerted during a collision and provide accurate measurements of F(avg) and Fmax.