F = ma doesn't work when aproaching c

• Thread starter Jacob_hull
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, mass increases as velocity approaches the speed of light, and this causes problems with the equation f=ma.
Jacob_hull
Hello all,

Im only a student, taking physics in college in september, However I have read up on the level of physics I will be studying. One thing that I couldn't get my head round, Why when an object aproaches c does its mass increase? Am I right in saying this also makes it impossible from the object to reach c? Also why does this cancel out f = ma?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but it just sparked an interest in my mind and I couldn't find an explanation that actually fully explained it to me. Thanks all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

There are basically two ways of describing this in relativity.

The more old-fashioned way is to write F=ma, and say that [itex]m=\gamma m_o[/itex], where [itex]m_o[/itex] is the mass the object has when it's at rest.

More recently (roughly within the last 50 years), it's been more common to write [itex]F=m\gamma a[/itex], and treat m as a constant.

So depending on which description you prefer, you can either say that mass increases or it doesn't increase, but either way the prediction is the same.

It doesn't cancel out F=ma completely. At velocities that are small compared to the speed of light, [itex]\gamma[/itex] is very close to 1, so F=ma is approximately right. That's why people believed F=ma was exact for hundreds of years.

Yes, this is one way of seeing that an object can't reach c. As its velocity gets close to c, [itex]\gamma[/itex] approaches infinity, so the force required in order to maintain the same acceleration also approaches infinity.

For an explanation of why this happens: http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/6mr/ch01/ch01.html#Section1.3

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacob_hull said:
Hello all,

Im only a student, taking physics in college in september, However I have read up on the level of physics I will be studying. One thing that I couldn't get my head round, Why when an object aproaches c does its mass increase? Am I right in saying this also makes it impossible from the object to reach c? Also why does this cancel out f = ma?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but it just sparked an interest in my mind and I couldn't find an explanation that actually fully explained it to me. Thanks all.

The mass increases because m = e/c^2 and E = 1/2mv^2

This means that if your velocity increases your energy increases your mass increases.

You are correct, a massive object can't reach the speed c.

Also f=ma does not work at speed c because the force would be infinite along with the mass which essentially states 1=1 since "a" now equals next to 0. Perhaps it works it is just not very interesting.

Thanks for the reply, this sort of stuff doesn't get explained to you in Secondary school it was basically f=ma end of. But I understand now so thanks a lot :)

1. Why does F=ma not work when approaching the speed of light?

The equation F=ma is known as Newton's Second Law of Motion and is used to calculate the force acting on an object. However, when an object is approaching the speed of light, its mass increases significantly and therefore the acceleration decreases. This means that the force required to accelerate the object further also increases, making the equation F=ma invalid.

2. What is the equation that replaces F=ma when approaching the speed of light?

When approaching the speed of light, the equation that replaces F=ma is the relativistic equation for force, F=γma, where γ is the Lorentz factor and takes into account the increase in mass at high speeds.

3. Can F=ma be used for objects that are already travelling at the speed of light?

No, F=ma cannot be used for objects that are already travelling at the speed of light as it would result in an infinite amount of force, which is not physically possible. This is because at the speed of light, the mass of an object becomes infinite, making the acceleration equal to 0.

4. Does this mean that F=ma is not a valid equation?

No, F=ma is a valid equation that works for most everyday objects and situations. It is only when approaching the speed of light that it becomes invalid due to the increase in mass and decrease in acceleration. For most practical purposes, F=ma is a reliable equation.

5. How does this concept relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

The idea that F=ma does not work when approaching the speed of light is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of relativity. This theory explains how the laws of physics change at high speeds and how the concept of mass is relative to the observer's frame of reference. The relativistic equation for force, F=γma, is a result of this theory and is used to accurately describe the behavior of objects at high speeds.