F maps A onto A=>f is one to one

• Thread starter pacificguy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between an onto function in a metric space and its injectivity. It is stated that an onto function does not necessarily imply injectivity, and a counter example is suggested to prove this. The contrapositive is also mentioned as a useful way to approach the problem. The conversation then delves into the construction of a counter example and the role of a metric space in this scenario. It is ultimately concluded that if A is finite and f is onto, then f must be injective.
pacificguy
Hi,
Say f:A->A where A is a metric space and f is onto. I think it should be true that this implies that f is also one to one. Is there a way to formally prove this?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no way to prove it since it is false, and it is impossible to prove untrue things.
Try to construct a counter example. Hint it is easy.

Let's try starting with something simple!

The contrapositive is often something useful to consider:
f is not one-to-one ==> A is not a metric space​

What is the simplest example you can think of of an onto function that is not one-to-one? Can you prove the domain of that function cannot have a metric space structure on it?

(P.S. what is f? Any function at all?)

what does metric space even have to do with it?

i was about to construct a counter example but maybe there's something to this.

if A={a,b,c} and the range of f is all of A i don't see how one can define f in such a way that it's not injective because f(a) = a and f(a) = (b) isn't allowed right?

ice109 said:
what does metric space even have to do with it?

i was about to construct a counter example but maybe there's something to this.

if A={a,b,c} and the range of f is all of A i don't see how one can define f in such a way that it's not injective because f(a) = a and f(a) = (b) isn't allowed right?

If A is finite and f is onto, then f must be injective

Office_Shredder said:
If A is finite and f is onto, then f must be injective

yea i figured that out shortly after posting

1. What does it mean for an F map to map A onto A?

This means that every element in set A has a corresponding element in set A after the mapping is applied. In other words, the range of the function is equal to the domain of the function.

2. How is one-to-one related to an F map mapping A onto A?

If an F map maps A onto A and is also one-to-one, it means that each element in the range of the function has a unique corresponding element in the domain. In other words, no two elements in set A are mapped to the same element in set A.

3. What conditions must be met for an F map to be one-to-one when mapping A onto A?

In order for an F map to be one-to-one when mapping A onto A, the function must have a unique output for every input (i.e. no two elements in set A are mapped to the same element in set A) and the range of the function must be equal to the domain of the function.

4. Can an F map mapping A onto A be one-to-one if the function is not bijective?

No, if the function is not bijective (i.e. it is not both one-to-one and onto), then it cannot be one-to-one when mapping A onto A. This is because a one-to-one function must have a unique output for every input, and if the function is not onto, there are elements in the range of the function that do not have a corresponding element in the domain.

5. What would be an example of an F map that maps A onto A and is also one-to-one?

An example of such a function would be f(x) = x, where the domain and range are both the set of real numbers. Every element in the range has a unique corresponding element in the domain (since the function simply returns the input) and the range is equal to the domain, satisfying the conditions for an F map mapping A onto A to also be one-to-one.