Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factor in equation (3.49) of Peskin and Schroeder

1. Apr 27, 2012 #1
    My question concerns the 1/2 factor in the exponential of Eq. (3.49) of Peskin and Schroeder.

This equation concerns the Lorentz boost transformation of a spinor along the z-axis (or 3-direction).

According to Eq. (3.26):

[itex]S^{03} = -\frac{i}{2}\begin{bmatrix}\sigma^3 & 0 \\0 & -\sigma^3\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

and Eq. (3.30):

[itex]\Lambda_{1/2} = exp(-\frac{i}{2}\omega_{03} S^{03})[/itex]

Combining these two expressions and using the infinitesimal boost (according to Eq. (3.48) and Eq. (3.21)): [itex]\omega_{03} = \eta[/itex] (here [itex]\eta[/itex] is the rapidity):

[itex]\Lambda_{1/2} = exp(-\frac{1}{4}\eta \begin{bmatrix}\sigma^3 & 0 \\0 & -\sigma^3\end{bmatrix})[/itex]

My problem is that Peskin and Schroeder have a 1/2 factor where my simple substitution gives a 1/4!?!

Am I misinterpresting the meaning of [itex]\omega_{03}[/itex]? I am assuming that [itex]\eta = \beta[/itex] (v/c) from my understanding of Eq. (3.21)... this might be a problem?!?

Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2012 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

In my version of P&S, eq(3.30) is
    $$
    \Lambda_{1/2} = exp(-\frac{i}{2}\omega_{\mu\nu} S^{\mu\nu})
    $$
    and you must sum over ##\mu, \nu##. So you need an exponent involving
    $$
    (\omega_{03} S^{03} + \omega_{30} S^{30})
    $$
    Is that enough for you to figure out the rest...?

4. Apr 29, 2012 #3
    Thanks Strangerep! I just completely forgot the summation over the indices... That was also enough for me to figure out the rest!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook