Peskin/Schroeder 4.77 page (about cross-sections)

• A
  • Thread starter Manu_
  • Start date
In summary, the equation 4.77 in Peskin/Schroeder's book deals with cross-sections and involves an integral with the delta function. This delta function can be expressed in terms of a sum of 1st-degree zeros and can be used to fulfill energy-momentum-conservation and on-shell constraints.
Manu_
Hello everyone,

I am trying to solve equation 4.77 (about cross-sections) in peskin/schroeder's book.
They state that:

[tex] \int d\bar{k}^{z}_{A} \delta \left( \sqrt{\bar{k}^{z}_{A}+m^{2}_{A}} + \sqrt{\bar{k}^{z}_{B}+ m^{2}_{B}} - \Sigma E_{f} \right) \Big{|}_{\bar{k}^{z}_{B}=\Sigma p^{z}_{f}-\bar{k}^{z}_{A}} = \frac{1}{\lvert \frac{\bar{k}^{z}_{A}}{ \bar{E}_{A}} - \frac{\bar{k}^{z}_{B}}{\bar{E}_{B}} \rvert} [/tex]

With A and B the initial protons that collide, z the longitudinal direction, k the momentum, E the energy, and the subscript f denotes the final state (i.e., after collision).
I don't understand where does this come from. I tried to use some definitions of the delta function, but I'm not even getting close. Does someone have an idea?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x \delta[f(x)] \phi(x)=\sum_{j} \frac{1}{|f'(x_j)|} \phi(x_j),$$
where ##f## is a function that has only 1st-degree zeros, ##x_j## (i.e., ##f'(x_j) \neq 0## for all ##j##) and ##\phi(x)## is a appropriate test function. In other words as a distribution you have
$$\delta[f(x)]=\sum_{j} \frac{1}{|f'(x_j)|} \delta(x-x_j).$$

Now for your formula we use (I write ##k_A^z=k_A## for convenience)
$$f(k_A)=\sqrt{k_A^2+m_A^2}+\sqrt{k_B^2+m_B^2}-\sum E_f.$$
Now you have
$$f'(k_A)=\frac{k_A}{E_A}-\frac{k_B}{E_B},$$
where the above given square roots are ##E_A## and ##E_B##. From this you get the formula, which is understood to fulfill all energy-momentum-conservation and on-shell constraints at place,
$$E_A+E_B-\sum E_f=0, \quad \vec{p}_A+\vec{p}_B-\sum_E \vec{p}_f=0$$.

Thank you your answer, Vanhees, it got clearer for me now.

1. What is a cross-section in Peskin/Schroeder 4.77 page?

A cross-section is a measure of the probability that a particular interaction between particles will occur. In Peskin/Schroeder 4.77 page, it specifically refers to the cross-section of a scattering process, which is the area that the scattered particles cover on a detector.

2. How is the cross-section calculated in Peskin/Schroeder 4.77 page?

The cross-section is calculated using the Feynman diagrams and the quantum field theory principles described in Peskin/Schroeder 4.77 page. It involves calculating the amplitude of the scattering process and then squaring it to get the probability, which is then divided by the flux of incoming particles to get the cross-section.

3. What is the significance of the cross-section in particle physics?

The cross-section is an important quantity in particle physics as it allows us to make predictions about the likelihood of a particular interaction occurring. It also provides information about the underlying physical processes and can be used to test the validity of different theories and models.

4. Can the cross-section be experimentally measured?

Yes, the cross-section can be experimentally measured by colliding particles and observing the number of events that occur within a certain area. This allows us to compare the theoretical predictions from Peskin/Schroeder 4.77 page with the actual measurements and verify the accuracy of the calculations.

5. How does the cross-section change with energy in Peskin/Schroeder 4.77 page?

According to Peskin/Schroeder 4.77 page, the cross-section generally increases with energy as higher energies allow for more particle interactions to occur. However, at very high energies, the cross-section may decrease due to the effects of quantum corrections and the asymptotic freedom of strong interactions.