Factoring 3rd degree polynomial

In summary, the person forgot to factor 12 out of the equation and tried to solve it using the rational root theorem. They found out that -2 was the solution and then used synthetic division to test the roots.
OFFLINEX

Homework Statement

Factor 12X^3-12X^2-60X+24=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
OFFLINEX said:

The Attempt at a Solution

You forgot that part of the question.

Do you know the rational root theorem?

First I would factor 12 out of all the terms then use the rational zero test since you can't factor by grouping.

so factoring out the 12 will get me a 12[x^3-X^2-5X+2]=0 and the root theorem says my it should be +-(2,1)/1 Right? So possible answers are +2, -2, or 1 and -1

Yes, try those. You should only need one of them to get a quadratic you can factor.

Correct. Now you can use synthetic division to test the roots. Or, you can plug and chug and then use polynomial division to figure out the quadratic remaining, which you should be able to factor.

You could try something like this:

[tex]12(x^3-x^2-5x+2)=0[/tex]

[tex]12(x^3+2x^2-2x^2-x^2-4x-x+2)=0[/tex]

[tex]12([x^3+2x^2] - [2x^2+4x] - [x^2+x-2])=0[/tex]

Now factor the terms and solve the equation.

Regards.

Дьявол said:
You could try something like this:

[tex]12(x^3-x^2-5x+2)=0[/tex]

[tex]12(x^3+2x^2-2x^2-x^2-4x-x+2)=0[/tex]

[tex]12([x^3+2x^2] - [2x^2+4x] - [x^2+x-2])=0[/tex]

Now factor the terms and solve the equation.
Regards.
How does factoring those terms help solve the equation? Boreck and Dunkle have already told him how to do this.

[tex]12[x^2(x+2)-2x(x+2)-(x+2)(x-1)]=0[/tex]
[tex]12(x+2)[x^2-2x-(x-1)]=0[/tex]

What I did is actually, I found that -2 is the solution of the polynomial, so I found out way to factor the whole polynomial and save some time for dividing the whole polynomial with (x+2).

Regards.

Дьявол said:
[tex]12[x^2(x+2)-2x(x+2)-(x+2)(x-1)]=0[/tex]
[tex]12(x+2)[x^2-2x-(x-1)]=0[/tex]

What I did is actually, I found that -2 is the solution of the polynomial, so I found out way to factor the whole polynomial and save some time for dividing the whole polynomial with (x+2).

Regards.

I'm sure HallsofIvy saw what you were doing, but I'm guessing he thought your post was out of place because two people already gave a more straightforward and efficient way to factor it.

What is a 3rd degree polynomial?

A 3rd degree polynomial is an algebraic expression that contains a variable raised to the power of 3, also known as a cubic polynomial. It follows the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants.

What is factoring?

Factoring is the process of finding the factors of a polynomial, which are expressions that can be multiplied together to get the original polynomial. In other words, factoring is reverse multiplication.

Why is factoring important for 3rd degree polynomials?

Factoring 3rd degree polynomials allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations. It can also help us find the roots, or solutions, of the polynomial equation.

How do you factor a 3rd degree polynomial?

To factor a 3rd degree polynomial, we use techniques such as grouping, common factor, and the quadratic formula. We can also use synthetic division or the rational root theorem if the polynomial is in standard form.

What is the difference between prime and composite polynomials?

A prime polynomial is one that cannot be factored into simpler polynomials, while a composite polynomial can be factored into smaller polynomials. In other words, a prime polynomial has no factors other than 1 and itself, while a composite polynomial has multiple factors.