1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factoring a difficult polynomial so that I can extend equation

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Give a formula for the extended function that is continuous at the indicated point.

(x3-4x2-11x+30)/(x2-4), x=2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that I have to factor the top and bottom so that I can cancel terms that cause the function to be undefined at x=2, and I know how to do everything after that. However, I'm stuck on how to factor x3-4x2-11x+30. I know that the factors are (x-5)(x-2)(x+3), but I don't know how to go about getting there. I tried grouping, but it didn't work since there is no way that I see to factor -11x+30.
    x3-4x2-11x+30

x2(x-4)-11x+30

I tried grouping other ways, but they did not work either.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In general, what you want is the rational roots theorem. If (x-r) is a factor of the numerator then r must divide 30. That gives a limited number of guesses for possible factors. But in this particular case, it's a pretty good guess that (x-2) is factor. Once you know that, divide the numerator by (x-2) to get a quadratic. Then factor the quadratic to get the other two factors.

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3
    Oh gee, I completely forgot about that. (It's been a while since Algebra II) That makes total sense. Thank you so much for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook