1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factoring algebraic complex expression

1. Jul 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Factor the expression ac-bd+adi+bci

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    We can factor the variable 'a' which gives:
    a(c+di)-bd+bci
    The common factor in the remaing terms is b, and if we also factor out b we get
    a(c+di)-b(d+ci)

But this is not the way I want it factorized. I want it to be factored completely. How can that be done step by step?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2014 #2
    Do you realise the similarity between the factors (c+di) and (d-ci)? How can you make them the same?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  4. Jul 23, 2014 #3
    I made a misstake, it should be a(c+di)-b(d-ci). Anyway so you're saying (c+di) and (d-ci) can be made the same. I actually don't see how that could be done? I mean both the real and the imaginary parts of these expressions are different. How are they the same?

5. Jul 23, 2014 #4
    Maybe I wasn't very clear with what I meant by "make the same", but what I was trying to convey is identifying the common factor between these two terms. Notice that they differ by a factor of i

6. Jul 23, 2014 #5
    For your second step, factor out bi instead of just b. Be more careful with signs and brackets.

7. Jul 23, 2014 #6
    Now I see it :)

Is there some rule (algorithm) / procedure to follow when factoring like this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted