Factoring: Is (r+y)^3 the same as [(1+y/r)^3∗r^3] ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter HappyS5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Factoring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
HappyS5
Messages
5
Reaction score
3
Homework Statement
I am just refreshing my calculus and have a question. I have a weakness with factoring.
Relevant Equations
$$(r+y)^3$$
Is ##(r+y)^3## the same as ##[(1+y/r)^3*r^3]##. If not, how do I factor r out of the parenthesis.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's correct, as long as ##r \neq 0##. The ##[]## parentheses can be omitted though, they are unnecessary.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: HappyS5
HappyS5 said:
Is ##(r+y)^3## the same as ##[(1+y/r)^3*r^3]##. If not, how do I factor r out of the parenthesis.
##(r + y)^3 = \frac{r^3}{r^3}(r + y)^3 = r^3(\frac 1 {r^3}(r + y)^3) = r^3(\frac{r + y}r)^3 = r^3(1 + \frac y r)^3##.
As already noted, ##r \ne 0##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: archaic and scottdave
Mark44 said:
##(r + y)^3 = \frac{r^3}{r^3}(r + y)^3 = r^3(\frac 1 {r^3}(r + y)^3) = r^3(\frac{r + y}r)^3 = r^3(1 + \frac y r)^3##.
As already noted, ##r \ne 0##.

I did it this way:

$$(r+y)^3=(r(1+y/r))^3= r^3(1+y/r)^3$$
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: archaic
HappyS5 said:
Homework Statement:: I am just refreshing my calculus and have a question. I have a weakness with factoring.
Relevant Equations:: $$(r+y)^3$$

Is ##(r+y)^3## the same as ##[(1+y/r)^3*r^3]##. If not, how do I factor r out of the parenthesis.

To see this holds for all natural exponents ##n##, we can use the distributive law for the case ##n = 1##:
$$(r + y) = (1 + \frac y r)r$$
And for the inductive step, also using the distributive law:
$$(r + y)^{n + 1} = (r+y)(r+y)^n = r(1 + \frac y r)r^n(1 + \frac y r)^n = r^{n +1}(1 + \frac y r)^{n + 1}$$
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: member 587159