1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Factoring quadratic equation (with trig identities used)

1. Sep 26, 2016 #1
    Is it possible to factor a quadratic equation along the lines of asin^2x -bsin2x+c ? If so, how? The sin2x seems to be a problem since when expanded it becomes 2sinxcosx, but I'm wondering if it is possible, and how it would be done?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't see any way of doing it. What's the context of this problem? Could there be a mistake leading up to what you show?

BTW, what you show isn't an equation -- there's no =.

4. Sep 26, 2016 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

a sin2(x) - b sin(2x) + c = 0 (I guess that is what you meant) can be written as ##a \sin^2(x) + c = 2 b \sin(x) \sqrt{1-\sin^2(x)}##, after squaring both sides you get a quadratic equation in sin2(x).

5. Sep 26, 2016 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

Is the object to solve [itex]a \sin^2x - b \sin 2x + c = 0[/itex] for [itex]x[/itex]? If so, use the identities [tex]
    \cos^2 x + \sin ^2 x = 1 \\
    \cos^2 x - \sin^2 x = \cos 2x
    [/tex] to express [itex]\sin^2 x[/itex] in terms of [itex]\cos 2x[/itex]; then you'll have something of the form [itex]p \cos 2x - b \sin 2x + q = 0[/itex] which I hope you know how to solve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted