1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factoring x^4 + x^3 + 2x - 4 = 0 (cubic equ)

1. Dec 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    x^4 + x^3 + 2x - 4 = 0

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    x^4 + x^3 + 2x - 4 = 0
    x(x^3 + x^2 +2) = 4

i don't know what to do with this. i tried to factor (x^3 + x^2 +2), but i don't know how. I also have a feeling that I am not doing this correctly and that there should be a zero instead of a 4 on the right hand side of the equal sign...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 7, 2009 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think there is, in general, a good way to factor a 4th degree polynomial. You can try synthetic division, if you think you have one factor: (x-1).

5. Dec 7, 2009 #4

Borek

1 and -2 are between obvious root candidates pointed to by the rational root theorem - so you have just used it.

Besides, you have also just solved the question for the OP, which is exactly a thing that you should not do.

6. Dec 7, 2009 #5
    Oops, my bad. Also, I most definitely did not use rational root theorem; I used guessing. Just because I guess something and there exists a theorem that says my guess is good, doesn't mean I know or in any way care about the theorem. :-) Still, obviously it's a nice thing to know -- I wasn't thinking at all when posting.

7. Dec 7, 2009 #6

Borek

:rofl: happens to everyone :wink:

8. Dec 7, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But the polynomial he gets after factoring out x-1 is a cubic. Perhaps that is what he was talking about.

And the rational root theorem works nicely to find a rational root of that cubic, leaving just a quadratic equation to be solved. (The quadratic has complex roots.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook