Factorising Equation for dI/dθ = 0 with I = 0.8x10^-5 and Cosine Functions

  • Thread starter Thread starter kasse
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
kasse
Messages
383
Reaction score
1
I want [tex]\frac{dI}{d \theta} = 0[/tex] when [tex]I = 0.8 \cdot 10^{-5}[\frac{273}{16} + \frac{17}{2}cos(kd sin \theta) + 2cos(2kd sin \theta)][/tex]

If I've calculated correctly, this means that [tex]-8.5sin(8.1sin \theta)8.1cos \theta - 32.4sin(16.2sin \theta)cos \theta = 0[/tex]. Can somebody help me factorise this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If only the stuff in brackets is the argument of the first sine of each term, you could get away with dividing through by [tex]cos \theta[/tex] to leave you with

[tex] -8.5sin(8.1sin \theta)8.1 - 32.4sin(16.2sin \theta) = 0[/tex]

which is equivalent to
[tex] -68.85sin(8.1sin \theta) - 32.4sin(16.2sin \theta) = 0[/tex]
 
Then recognising 16.2sinθ = 2(8.1sinθ) we can apply the sin double angle formula (sin2α = 2cosαsinα) on the second term