Factors Affecting the Rate of a Reaction

In summary, the simulation experiment showed that the reaction between iodine ions and persulphate ions is a two-step process, with the second step being the more rapid one. The rate law equation for this reaction is r = k[I-][S2O82-], meaning that the rate of reaction is proportional to the concentration of both iodine and persulphate ions. Doubling the concentration of either substance results in a doubling of the reaction rate.
ctamasi
I've just completed a simulated experiment concerning the reaction between iodine ions and persulphate ions:

2I-(aq)+S2O82-(aq)-->I2(aq)+2SO42-(aq) (1)

The iodine produced from this reaction, in turn reacts with thiosulphate ions:

I2(aq)+2S2O32-(aq)-->2I-(aq)+S4O62-(aq) (2)

Reaction (2) is the more rapid of the two, which means that reaction (1) is the rate-determing step.

My question is, how do I determine the rate law of this reaction with the follwing experimental data:

Mixture----[I-] (mol/L)----[S2O82-] (mol/L)----Time (s)

--1---------0.10--------------0.050------------20
--2---------0.075-------------0.050------------28
--3---------0.050-------------0.050------------41
--4---------0.025-------------0.050------------84
--5---------0.10--------------0.038------------25
--6---------0.10--------------0.025------------39
--7---------0.10--------------0.013------------82

My attempt at a solution:

From the data, I've concluded that as the concentration of the persulphate ions is kept constant, doubling the concentration of the iodine ions resuls in halving the time taken for a reaction to occur. Also, as the concentration of the iodine ions is kept constant, the time is again halved each time the concentration of the persulphate ions is doubled.

Therefore, the rate law equation will take the following form:

r=k[I-]m[S2O82-]n

From this point I am somewhat lost. I'm assuming that the equation can be re-written to solve for m and n as:

log r = log k + m log[I-] + n log[S2O82-]

However, I'm not entirely sure how to apply the experimental data to this equation. Some guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the reaction time is halved, then the reaction rate is ____? That should help with finding m and n.

If the reaction time is halved then the reaction rate is doubled right?

Does this mean that the rate is increased by a factor of 2 meaning that the rate of reaction is proportional to the square of the concentration of both the iodide ions and the persulphate ions?

ctamasi said:
If the reaction time is halved then the reaction rate is doubled right?
Yes, exactly.

Does this mean that the rate is increased by a factor of 2 meaning that the rate of reaction is proportional to the square of the concentration of both the iodide ions and the persulphate ions?
No. If it were proportional to the square, then doubling the concentration would cause the rate to quadruple:

r1 = k' c12
r2 = k' c22

c2 = 2c1r2 = k' (2c1)2 = 4 k' c12 = 4r1

What must the exponent be in order to get:
r2 = 2r1
?

Oh, so does that just mean that the rate of reaction is proportional to the concentration of both iodide and persulphate ions? meaning that the exponents m and n, must be 1:

r = k[I-]1[S2O82-]1

r = k[I-][S2O82-]

Therefore, as the concentration of either substance is doubled, the rate of reaction is also doubled?

Awesome! Thanks a lot.

P.S. Breaking up the rate law equation into two separate equations really helped.

1. What are the main factors that affect the rate of a reaction?

The main factors that affect the rate of a reaction are the concentration of reactants, temperature, presence of a catalyst, surface area, and the nature of the reactants and products.

2. How does the concentration of reactants affect the rate of a reaction?

The higher the concentration of reactants, the more collisions occur between particles, leading to an increase in the rate of the reaction. This is because a higher concentration means there are more particles present in a given volume, increasing the chances of successful collisions between reactant molecules.

3. What role does temperature play in the rate of a reaction?

Temperature has a significant impact on the rate of a reaction. As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of particles also increases, leading to more frequent and energetic collisions between reactant molecules. This results in a higher rate of reaction.

4. How does the presence of a catalyst affect the rate of a reaction?

A catalyst is a substance that increases the rate of a reaction without being consumed in the process. It works by providing an alternative pathway for the reaction to occur, with a lower activation energy. This lowers the energy required for successful collisions between reactant molecules, resulting in an increased rate of reaction.

5. How does the surface area of reactants affect the rate of a reaction?

The surface area of reactants plays a role in the rate of a reaction, particularly for solid reactants. A larger surface area means there is more area available for reactant molecules to come into contact with each other, leading to an increase in the frequency of collisions and a higher rate of reaction.