Factors on which conductivity depends

In summary, the conductivity of a material is affected by several factors, including resistance, area of cross section, length, and resistivity. The formula for resistivity is ρ = AR/L and the formula for conductivity is σ = L/AR. It can be inferred that resistivity is the most important factor in determining conductivity, as it is the only factor missing from the formula for conductivity. However, resistance also plays a role in determining conductivity.
logearav

Homework Statement

The conductivity of a material depends on a) Resistance(R) b) Area of cross section(A) c) Length(L)
d) Resistivity(ρ)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The formula for Resistivity is given by ρ = AR/L and Conductivity(σ) being the reciprocal of Resistivity, the formula is σ = L/AR.
So, i think the answer is d) Resistivity since that term is missing in the given equation of conductivity. Am i inferring correct?
But at the same time, i also think in this way,i.e., if there is more resistance there won't be much conduction and less resistance means more conduction. So Conductivity also depends on Resistance.
Please help in this regard

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think that the way resistivity is defined it only depends on the resistance of the material since as per definition of resitivity it is the resistance of 1 meter of the material with a uniform unit cross sectional area.

1. What is conductivity and why is it important?

Conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct electricity. It is important because it helps us understand and control the flow of electricity in various materials, which is crucial for many technological applications.

2. What are the factors that affect conductivity?

The factors that affect conductivity include the type of material, its physical state (solid, liquid, or gas), temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material's structure.

3. How does temperature influence conductivity?

In general, as temperature increases, the conductivity of a material also increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy to the particles in the material, allowing them to move more freely and therefore conduct electricity more easily.

4. How do impurities affect conductivity?

Impurities can disrupt the regular arrangement of particles in a material, making it more difficult for electricity to flow through. This can result in a decrease in conductivity, as well as other changes in the material's properties.

5. Can conductivity be controlled?

Yes, conductivity can be controlled through various means, such as adjusting temperature, purifying the material, or introducing dopants (atoms of a different element) to alter the material's properties. This allows us to tailor conductivity for specific applications.