Thermal Conductivity of a Metal Rod

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 18K views
Koshi
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



One end of an insulated metal rod is maintained at 100^\circ C and the other end is maintained at 0.00 ^\circ {\rm C} by an ice–water mixture. The rod has a length of 75.0 cm and a cross-sectional area of 1.40 cm^2. The heat conducted by the rod melts a mass of 7.85 g of ice in a time of 15.0 min. Find the thermal conductivity k of the metal.


Homework Equations



H=dQ/dt=kA(T2-T1)/L

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to solve for k using the formula for heat transfer and since H was not given, I substituted it with dQ/dt. Then in stead of dQ I used the equation for heat transformation Q=mL where m=mass of ice melted and L=333kj/kg which is the heat of fusion for water, if I'm not mistaken. I put everything in SI units and solved but I got the wrong answer. Did I make a wrong assumption somewhere?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That all sounds good but the devil is in the details. What answer did you get?
 
is there anyone else who can help me find out where I went wrong?
 
Please show one's work, particularly, the value obtained for heat flux. If one is off by 4-orders of magnitude, look at the value for cross-sectional area given in cm2 and make sure it is properly converted to m2.

I obtain a value on the order of the thermal conductivity of a metal. Thermal conductivity of Al is about 200 W/m-K, and that of Cu is about 385 W/m-K.

Ref: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/thrcn.html#c1