Failure to see the validity of an approximation to DiffEq.

In summary, Griffiths uses the power series method to solve the Schrödinger Equation for the harmonic oscillator case. He analyzes the solutions which are not normalizable by considering large values of j and using a recursion formula. This leads to an approximate solution for the constant aj, which is represented by (1), and the function h(y), represented by (2). The intermediate steps for (1) and (2) are not explicitly shown, but the relationship between the constants aj and the function h(y) is clarified by substituting (1) and a modified version of (1) into the recursion equation.
davidbenari
The following comes from Griffiths Intro. to QM (2nd Ed) page 53.

We want to solve the Schrödinger Equation for the harmonic oscillator case using a power series method. The details aren't important but you want to solve

##h''(y)-2yh'(y)+(K-1)h=0##

whose recursion formula is

##a_{j+2}=\frac{2j+1-K}{(j+1)(j+2)}a_j##

Griffiths wants to analyze those solutions which aren't normalizable so he considers large values of ##j##. The recursion formula becomes (to large ##j##)

##a_{j+2}=\frac{2}{j}a_j##

Which makes sense, but then he says that this has the approximate solution (from now on is the part where I don't understand)

(1) ##a_{j}\approx \frac{C}{(j/2)!}## where C is a constantconsidering large ##y## we get that

(2) ##h(y) = C \sum \frac{1}{(j/2)!}y^j = C \sum \frac{1}{j!}y^{2j}##So, I consider (1) mysterious and the second equality of (2) ( ##C \sum \frac{1}{j!}y^{2j}##) mysterious as well. Anyone care to help me showing the intermediate left-out steps?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi david:

I can help with the first question, but there is something I don't understand regarding your second question.

Regarding
davidbenari said:
So, I consider (1) mysterious

Just confirm that (1) is the solution to the recursion equation
aj+2=2/j aj
by substituting (1) and a modified (1) for j+2 into the above equation.

I hope this is helpful.

Regarding the the second mystery, I don't understand the relationship between the constants aj and the function h(y) of the differential equation.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz:

Buzz Bloom said:
I don't understand the relationship between the constants aj and the function h(y) of the differential equation
I guess I forgot to mention that we're supposing the solution ##h(y)## is of the form ##h(y)=\sum a_j y^j##. I.e. a power series.
Buzz Bloom said:
Just confirm that (1) is the solution to the recursion equation
aj+2=2/j ajby substituting (1) and a modified (1) for j+2 into the above equation.

I'm relatively confused about what you said here. It would be helpful if you could be more explicit. Specifically I'm not sure how this solves the recursion relation.

Thanks!

davidbenari said:
I'm relatively confused about what you said here. It would be helpful if you could be more explicit.
Hi david:

aj+2 = (2/j) aj
aj ≈ C/(j/2)!
aj+2 ≈ C/((j+2)/2)!​

Now one needs only to show that
C / ((j+2)/2)! ≈ C (2/j) / (j/2)!​
This can be more easily seen by cancelling the Cs and examining the reciprocals.
((j+2)/2)! ≈ (j/2)! / (2/j) = (j/2)! × (j/2)
((j/2)+1)! = (j/2)! × (1+J/2) ≈ (j/2)! × (j/2)​
Cancelling the (j/2)!s gives
(1+J/2) ≈ (j/2)​
which is a reasonable approximate equality for sufficiently large j.

Regards,
Buzz

1. What is an approximation to DiffEq?

An approximation to DiffEq, short for approximation to differential equation, is a simplified version of a mathematical equation that models the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables. It is used to estimate solutions to complex differential equations that cannot be solved analytically.

2. Why is it important to see the validity of an approximation to DiffEq?

Understanding the validity of an approximation to DiffEq is crucial because it determines the accuracy and reliability of the solutions obtained. If the approximation is not valid, the solutions may be significantly different from the actual values and can lead to incorrect conclusions.

3. How is the validity of an approximation to DiffEq determined?

The validity of an approximation to DiffEq is determined by comparing the results obtained from the approximation to known solutions or experimental data. If the results are consistent, the approximation is considered valid.

4. What are some common reasons for failure to see the validity of an approximation to DiffEq?

One common reason for failure to see the validity of an approximation to DiffEq is using an inappropriate approximation method. Another reason could be not taking into account all the relevant variables or making simplifying assumptions that do not hold in the real-world scenario.

5. How can one improve their understanding of the validity of an approximation to DiffEq?

To improve understanding of the validity of an approximation to DiffEq, it is important to have a solid understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts and techniques used in the approximation. It is also helpful to compare the results obtained from different approximation methods and to consider the limitations and assumptions of each method.