How do I apply the Frobenius method to solve Hermite's ODE?

• MHB
  • Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation discusses Hermite's ODE and the process of finding its solution using a dummy variable approach. The indicial equation k(k-1) = 0 is used to determine the values of k, and the lowest power of x is used to choose a value for a1. After equating coefficients and correcting a mistake, the final equation is obtained as a_{j+2}(k+j+2)(k+j+1) -2a_{j}(k+j) + 2\alpha a_j = 0.
ognik
Hermite's ODE is $y'' - 2xy' + 2\alpha y = 0$

Let $y = \sum_{\lambda = 0}^{\infty} {a}_{\lambda} x^{k+\lambda}, y' = \sum a_{\lambda} (k+\lambda)x^{k+\lambda-1}, y'' = \sum a_\lambda (k+\lambda)(k+\lambda-1)x^{k+\lambda-2}$

I get the indicial eqtn of k(k-1) = 0, therefore k = 0 or 1. Lowest power of x again, let's me choose $a_1=0$

Then using a dummy variable j to make all powers of x equal, then equating coefficients, I get:

$ a_{j+2}(k+j+2)(k+j+1) -2a_{j+1}(k+j+1) + 2\alpha a_j = 0$

But the books answer shows me that they found the 2nd term to be $2a_{j}(k+j+1) $ - I can't find what I've done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Found my mistake, I forgot to multiply the 2nd term by x, so the correct eqtn is:

$ a_{j+2}(k+j+2)(k+j+1) -2a_{j}(k+j) + 2\alpha a_j = 0$

What is the Froebenious method?

The Frobenius method is a mathematical technique used to solve ordinary differential equations with power series solutions.

How does the Froebenious method work?

The method involves assuming a solution in the form of a power series and then substituting it into the differential equation. This results in a recurrence relation that can be used to find the coefficients of the power series solution.

When is the Froebenious method used?

The method is used when the differential equation cannot be solved using other techniques, such as separation of variables or substitution.

What are the limitations of the Froebenious method?

The method can only be applied to linear differential equations with regular singular points. It also requires a lot of algebraic manipulation and can be time-consuming.

How can I improve my skills in using the Froebenious method?

Practice is key to improving your skills in using the Frobenius method. Start with simple examples and gradually increase the complexity. Also, familiarize yourself with the properties of power series and the convergence of solutions.