Answering "How to Understand Approximation in QM

In summary: Thank you for sharing!In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of the third approximately equal sign in the equation from Griffiths' book on quantum mechanics. It is the Taylor series of ##e^x## with ##x=\xi^2##, and if the sum runs from j=0 to infinity, it is an exact equation. The conversation also includes a method for proving the equation $$e^{x^{2}}=\sum\frac{x^{2n}}{n!}$$ by introducing the variable ##y=x^2## and using the Taylor series of ##e^y##. However, it is noted that the intermediate variable is not necessary and the equation can be written directly.
Tspirit

Homework Statement

In the Griffiths book <Introduction to QM>, Section 2.3.2: Analytic method (for The harmonic oscillator), there is an equation (##\xi## is very large)
$$h(\xi)\approx C\sum\frac{1}{(j/2)!}\xi^{j}\approx C\sum\frac{1}{(j)!}\xi^{2j}\approx Ce^{\xi^{2}}.$$
How to understand the meaning of the third approximately equal sign?

Homework Equations

I know the Taylor series
$$e^{x}=\frac{x^{n}}{n!}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

If take place of ##\xi## with ##2\xi##, the equation may hold. However, can it be like this? What is the series of ##e^{\xi^{2}}## in real? I don't want the approximation. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the sum runs from j=0 to infinity, it is not an approximation, it is exact. It is the Taylor series of ##e^x## with ##x=\xi^2##.

Note that ##\xi^{2j} = (\xi^2)^j##.

mfb said:
If the sum runs from j=0 to infinity, it is not an approximation, it is exact. It is the Taylor series of ##e^x## with ##x=\xi^2##.

Note that ##\xi^{2j} = (\xi^2)^j##.
Thank you! I have found the problem I met. In fact, I want to prove the following equation $$e^{x^{2}}=\sum\frac{x^{2n}}{n!},$$ but didn't succeed at first. Now I can. This is the process.
Adopting the Taylor expansion of the left, with the derivertives
$$ (e^{x^{2}})^{(0)}=e^{x^{2}},(e^{x^{2}})^{(1)}=e^{x^{2}}2x,(e^{x^{2}})^{(2)}=e^{x^{2}}(4x^{2}+2),(e^{x^{2}})^{(3)}=e^{x^{2}}(8x^{3}+12x),(e^{x^{2}})^{(4)}=e^{x^{2}}(16x^{4}+48x^{2}+12) ...,$$
$$e^{x^{2}}=1+0+2x^{2}/{2!}+0+12x^{4}/{4!}+...,$$ which is exactly equal to the right expression $$1+x^2/(1!)+x^4/(2!).$$
Actually, the zero terms in the Taylor expansion stopped me from calculating continuously in the beginning, making me think they are not equal.

That is more complicated, but it works as well.

Tspirit said:
Thank you! I have found the problem I met. In fact, I want to prove the following equation $$e^{x^{2}}=\sum\frac{x^{2n}}{n!},$$ but didn't succeed at first. Now I can. This is the process.
Adopting the Taylor expansion of the left, with the derivertives
$$ (e^{x^{2}})^{(0)}=e^{x^{2}},(e^{x^{2}})^{(1)}=e^{x^{2}}2x,(e^{x^{2}})^{(2)}=e^{x^{2}}(4x^{2}+2),(e^{x^{2}})^{(3)}=e^{x^{2}}(8x^{3}+12x),(e^{x^{2}})^{(4)}=e^{x^{2}}(16x^{4}+48x^{2}+12) ...,$$
$$e^{x^{2}}=1+0+2x^{2}/{2!}+0+12x^{4}/{4!}+...,$$ which is exactly equal to the right expression $$1+x^2/(1!)+x^4/(2!).$$
Actually, the zero terms in the Taylor expansion stopped me from calculating continuously in the beginning, making me think they are not equal.

You could simply let ##y = x^2##, then:

##e^y = \sum\frac{y^{n}}{n!}##

And

##e^{x^2} = \sum\frac{(x^2)^{n}}{n!} = \sum\frac{x^{2n}}{n!}##

In fact, you don't really need to introduce the intermediate variable ##y##. You can simply write down this last equation directly.

PeroK said:
You could simply let ##y = x^2##, then:

##e^y = \sum\frac{y^{n}}{n!}##

And

##e^{x^2} = \sum\frac{(x^2)^{n}}{n!} = \sum\frac{x^{2n}}{n!}##

In fact, you don't really need to introduce the intermediate variable ##y##. You can simply write down this last equation directly.
Indeed, it's a simpler method.

1. What is approximation in quantum mechanics?

Approximation in quantum mechanics is a method used to simplify complex quantum systems and make them easier to solve. It involves making certain assumptions or approximations in order to reduce the calculations needed to describe a quantum system. This is necessary because many quantum systems are too complex to solve exactly using current mathematical methods.

2. Why is approximation necessary in quantum mechanics?

Approximation is necessary in quantum mechanics because many quantum systems are too complex to solve exactly using current mathematical methods. By making certain assumptions and approximations, scientists can still gain useful insights and predictions about these systems without having to solve the complex equations.

3. What are the different types of approximation used in quantum mechanics?

There are several types of approximation used in quantum mechanics, including perturbation theory, variational methods, and mean-field approximations. Perturbation theory involves making small changes to a known solution in order to approximate a new solution. Variational methods involve finding the best approximation to an unknown solution within a class of functions. Mean-field approximations treat the interactions between particles in a system as an average field, simplifying the calculations needed.

4. What are the limitations of approximation in quantum mechanics?

One limitation of approximation in quantum mechanics is that it can only provide approximate solutions, not exact ones. This means that the predictions made using approximation may not be completely accurate. Additionally, the assumptions and approximations made may not hold true for all quantum systems, leading to errors in the calculations.

5. How can we improve the accuracy of approximations in quantum mechanics?

There are several ways to improve the accuracy of approximations in quantum mechanics. One approach is to use more sophisticated approximation methods, such as higher-order perturbation theory or more advanced variational methods. Another approach is to refine the approximations by taking into account more factors or parameters in the system. Additionally, scientists are continually developing new techniques and algorithms to improve the accuracy of approximations in quantum mechanics.