Fall 2009 Graduate Admissions Thread

In summary, Jason and Tyler both applied to a variety of schools and are waiting for admissions decisions. Tyler is applying to a PhD program in math while Jason is applying to a variety of programs in physics, mathematics, and engineering.
I applied for Astronomy at UCLA (yeah, I actually applied only there... but I do have a backup in case this fails). Anyone else who applied there for Physics/Astronomy or heard anything from them?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, UCLA has not sent out their first wave yet

Received acceptance from Florida State University today. I applied for their HEP physics program.

tacosareveryyum said:
Received acceptance from Florida State University today. I applied for their HEP physics program.

can you tell me why you applied there?

I called the graduate coordinator of UNC-Chapel Hill and was told that they made their first round offers for PhD program in pure math today. Well, I'm not in that. In any case, just want to let you guys know if anyone here interested in UNC. Anybody here has any news from other programs ranked from 6-20? I knew that Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Stanford and Berkeley made their first rounds offers a while ago. How about other programs?

UIUC sent out acceptances today in math.

Getting more and more anxious as I have yet to hear back from any of the schools I applied to. Though I expect most to notify me by snail mail.

I got accepted to UofToronto 5 year direct entry phd program for Astronomy and Astrophysics. Very excited.

I got rejected from UIUC and Cornell. Not surprised about either, but really disappointed that I didn't get into UIUC. I thought I had an OK chance. Of course, I am not entitled to admission, but it hurts nonetheless.

Also Northwestern has sent out first round of offers and they seem to do a rolling admissions. So I'm not sure if I got rejected from NW. Again, I am not holding my breath.

Hang in there Jason! A lot of the schools you listed on the first page haven't even started contacting yet.

best of luck to everyone!

U of Utah seems to have started contacting. On gradcafe, it seems like they are making offer for people with Vigre grant. How many such fellowships does a department like U o U usually have? Could it be that if all the people with Vigre grants fill all the positions, they not going to accepting anybody else? Any idea?

JasonJo said:
I got rejected from UIUC and Cornell. Not surprised about either, but really disappointed that I didn't get into UIUC. I thought I had an OK chance. Of course, I am not entitled to admission, but it hurts nonetheless.

Also Northwestern has sent out first round of offers and they seem to do a rolling admissions. So I'm not sure if I got rejected from NW. Again, I am not holding my breath.

If you don't mind me asking, how were you informed that you were rejected from Cornell?

Hang in there, I'm sure you'll start hearing some good news.

Got into Boston University for Condensed Matter Experiment!

They were my top choice out of the realistic schools I applied to!

g01 said:
got into boston university for condensed matter experiment!

They were my top choice out of the realistic schools i applied to!

congratulations!

Maybe slightly off-topic, but does anyone have any strong feelings as to whether or not it's a faux pas to e-mail departments to ask if they've made a decision?

I've already received an unofficial "we've recommended you for admission to the graduate school but you're not technically in yet wink wink" phone call from one school, but I'm wondering if it makes me look bad to ask for unofficial results from other programs.

Appearing arrogant and impatient isn't something I want to do if the school hasn't made a decision yet.

Based on the FAQ pages I've read, I would say an e-mail like that should wait until mid-March. There are a ton of programs that haven't begun sending out responses yet (that I know of).

detunedradio said:
Maybe slightly off-topic, but does anyone have any strong feelings as to whether or not it's a faux pas to e-mail departments to ask if they've made a decision?

I've already received an unofficial "we've recommended you for admission to the graduate school but you're not technically in yet wink wink" phone call from one school, but I'm wondering if it makes me look bad to ask for unofficial results from other programs.

Appearing arrogant and impatient isn't something I want to do if the school hasn't made a decision yet.

Right now probably not since the majority of decisions have not been made at least for physics but come March you probably can.

detunedradio said:

What good do you think it will do? Do you think they made a decision and are somehow holding it back from you? Unless you happen to get them between the time the decision is made and it arrives in your mailbox, I don't think you'll find out substantially sooner.

Vanadium 50 said:
What good do you think it will do? Do you think they made a decision and are somehow holding it back from you? Unless you happen to get them between the time the decision is made and it arrives in your mailbox, I don't think you'll find out substantially sooner.

This is true for acceptances. They usually will contact you as soon as they can if they admit you. But if they have rejected you, this is not their top priority. I have found out already that I have been rejected from two schools a few days ago before they even officially sent out rejection letters because I emailed them. It might be an annoyance but if you are curious, I don't see what the big deal is about asking. It's very unlikely you will find out you got accepted this way, they usually let you know as soon as they can, but if you want to find out if you got rejected, then I can tell you from first hand experience, emailing or calling is very effective.

Vanadium 50 said:

The school that I heard from "unofficially" hasn't yet sent me a letter, and the Professor who called me said that it could take a few weeks before the graduate school got everything in order and mailed out. This was two weeks ago, so clearly some schools have a significant delay between the department making a positive decision and the graduate school accepting the student.

I think I'll be waiting a few more weeks to get in touch with UCSD, but UT Austin said decisions would be made mid-February, so I'll send them an e-mail next week. I'm done derailing the thread. Thanks, everyone.

detunedradio said:
So far I've gotten into OSU (01/30) and UNC Chapel Hill (02/05) for condensed matter experiment.

I also got into OSU. Are you going to the open house? Maybe I'll see you there.

Anyone in pure math hear from Brown yet?

abelian jeff said:
Anyone in pure math hear from Brown yet?

Got into Brown physics yesterday. But that's hardly pure. :devil:

Received my acceptance to UC Irvine just now. I'm into four out of six so far. Of course, my top two schools are the ones that are still pending.

tuna_wasabi said:
I also got into OSU. Are you going to the open house? Maybe I'll see you there.
I will be at OSU-physics’ open house.

So far, I have heard from:
UC Riverside, Ohio State, University of Oklahoma, Rice, Penn State, and Cornell.
(In all cases, I am applying to the physics department for experimental condensed matter)

detunedradio said:

Yes. It's not. They're working on your dollar, as you paid them via your application fee; furthermore, your plans might change depending on the results of your applications, and, from what I've heard, rejections are usually slower to arrive.

(I'm in :biggrin:)

Last edited:
why is everyone going into condensed matter? what does everyone know that i don't? my whole physics department is condensed matter

Condensed matter is the largest subfield of physics. Could it be that simple?

Vanadium 50 said:
Condensed matter is the largest subfield of physics. Could it be that simple?

i guess it could, i was thinking more along the lines that it had the most applications but I'm not sure.

I am really hoping I get an admissions letter this week. I just want some good news before March. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

All the best to you and all the others still waiting to hear.

i guess it could, i was thinking more along the lines that it had the most applications but I'm not sure.

It definitely is. Condensed matter has probably the greatest chance of any subdiscipline to get industry funding. For example, Intel sponsors a lot of my lab's work. Optics is not bad either.

I just got into Texas-Austin on a Geometry Fellowship!

JasonJo said:
I just got into Texas-Austin on a Geometry Fellowship!

Excellent! Congratulations!

Congrats, JasonJo