Fall 2010 Graduate Admissions Thread

In summary, So, the time has come that grad school decisions are coming in. Anybody received any acceptances yet? an expert summarizer of content has responded with the following:-two people have accepted, one has been rejected-person has good GPA, high GRE scores, and no research experience but has taught and had tutoring experience-has applied to eight schools and been accepted to four
kathrynag
So, the time has come that grad school decisions are coming in. Anybody received any acceptances yet?
I have applied to 8 schools for a master's in math and have gotten accepted to two - Miami University of Ohio and Bowling Green State University.

Physics news on Phys.org
so far I've been accepted to 4 schools, and haven't heard back from the other 5 i applied to

it's already a really tough 3-way choice for me (the other was sort of a safe school - good program, but not somewhere i wanted to live), so much so that i wouldn't be heartbroken to find out the other 5 all denied me tomorrow

Accepted to one Ivy League and invited to an interview weekend at one state school, both for Materials Science and Engineering PhD programs. Still waiting on another state school for MSE and Electrical Engineering PhD programs, as well as another Ivy League for a MSE PhD.

I am completely floored by my luck here! My school is totally unknown in MSE and I am a physics/applied math major. I owe this all to a good REU experience and awesome letters of rec, I bet.

Been accepted to 4 as of now

congratulations!

since i last posted in this thread, 2 of the 5 responded, both with rejections. I am not at all surprised or disappointed, though.

I apologize to interrupt the flow of the discussion, since neither have I applied to a graduate school nor have I been accepted/rejected by any.

However, having seen a similar post in another math forum, I thought that if you guys out there, who have applied to graduate schools, would be willing to be more informative it would help many people like myself who participate in this forum.

Specifically, if you would be willing to share more information about yourself like:
1. School you come from (or at least in your opinion how well known it is compared to other schools)
2. GPA
3. GRE (Math, Cr Reading, Writing)
4. Subject Math GRE
5. Research Experience
6. Schools you have applied to
7. Schools you have been accepted to, rejected from etc.

It would serve as a good reference to everyone who is planning to apply to graduate school in the future.

Thanks for your cooperation!

sutupidmath, check out the forums at thegradcafe.com, there is a forum for each area of study and people discuss their applications and will sometimes share info on their application stats.

yuster.com seems like a great concept for comparing your stats to other applicants, but it's also somewhat underused, and there also isn't any room for people to compare important aspects like letters of recommendation

personally i had a decent gpa ~3.6, only 1 semester of research experience, 3 good LoRs (probably what got me in where i did), very high GRE scores but only 60% subject gre, and no publications or awards. i applied to two of the very top schools and was rejected, but was accepted to two rank 10ish schools and a rank 20ish one

this was for chemistry

I came from a not very well known school. No one out of state would probably have have heard of it.
My GPA is about a 3.0 with my math GPA along the same lines.
I got a 600 on math, about a 400 on crit reading, and a 3 on writing.
I did not take the subject gre.
No research experience, but have had tutoring and teaching experience.
I applied to Bowling Green State, Miami University of Ohio, Kent State, University of Vermont, University of Tennessee, Ohio University, University of Akron, and Smith College all for the master program in math. I got into Miami University, Bowling Green State, Kent State, and University of Tennessee. I was rejected from university of vermont and have not heard from the others.

kathrynag said:
I came from a not very well known school. No one out of state would probably have have heard of it.
My GPA is about a 3.0 with my math GPA along the same lines.
I got a 600 on math, about a 400 on crit reading, and a 3 on writing.
I did not take the subject gre.
No research experience, but have had tutoring and teaching experience.
I applied to Bowling Green State, Miami University of Ohio, Kent State, University of Vermont, University of Tennessee, Ohio University, University of Akron, and Smith College all for the master program in math. I got into Miami University, Bowling Green State, Kent State, and University of Tennessee. I was rejected from university of vermont and have not heard from the others.

Wow...any funding? If yes, I am pissed cause my gre score is much better and I am having difficulty securing the money...

awri said:
Wow...any funding? If yes, I am pissed cause my gre score is much better and I am having difficulty securing the money...

No money offers yet. I knew my GRE score wasn't great, so I applied to a lot of programs that didn't require it. I guess it helped having good reccomendation letters. One school told me late March to hear about money.

I've been accepted into Oklahoma and rejected from Columbia so far. Haven't heard back from 5 other schools. I applied for the astronomy Ph.D. program, by the way.

My GRE Scores: Q-800, V-430, W-4.5. Subject: 710.

Accepted from U of New Mexico and U of Iowa.

Rejected from Purdue, Case Western, Stony Brook.

In waiting list in Carnegie Mellon, Penn State, UC-Davis.

No response from Georgia Tech and Michigan State.

By the way, I applied for Astrophysics.

Anybody got any news from Carnegie Mellon, Georgia Tech or Michigan State?

1. What is the deadline for Fall 2010 Graduate Admissions?

The deadline for Fall 2010 Graduate Admissions varies depending on the university and program. It is best to check with the specific institution for their deadline. However, in general, it is recommended to submit your application at least 6-12 months in advance to ensure enough time for processing.

2. What are the requirements for Fall 2010 Graduate Admissions?

The requirements for Fall 2010 Graduate Admissions also vary depending on the university and program. However, most graduate programs will require a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, letters of recommendation, transcripts, a statement of purpose, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE or GMAT).

3. Can I apply to multiple graduate programs for Fall 2010?

Yes, you can apply to multiple graduate programs for Fall 2010. However, it is important to prioritize your choices and only apply to programs that you are truly interested in and meet the requirements for. Applying to too many programs can be time-consuming and expensive.

4. Is there financial aid available for Fall 2010 Graduate Admissions?

Yes, there is often financial aid available for graduate students. This can include scholarships, grants, loans, and assistantships. It is important to research and apply for financial aid early on in the application process.

5. Can I defer my admission to Fall 2010 to a later semester?

This depends on the policies of the specific university and program. Some may allow deferral of admission to a later semester, while others may not. It is best to check with the institution directly to see if this is an option and what the process entails.