Changing Major and Graduate Admission in Engineering

In summary, the speaker is a sophomore student double majoring in physics and math at a flagship state university. They took 28 credits in one semester, causing a decrease in their GPA and leading to burnout. They are considering changing their major to a more applied and interesting field and their ultimate goal is to go to a top graduate school and get a PhD. They have questions about what courses and majors are favored by graduate admission committees in engineering, if taking courses in other fields is beneficial, the importance of breadth versus depth in coursework, and if it is better for graduate admission to do intensive research and advanced courses in an extra year. They also ask if getting a minor in physics would be useful.
PhysArts
Hello,

I am currently a sophomore student double major in physics & math in a flagship state university. Last semester I took 28 credits with 4 math courses (Multivarible Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Equation, Elementary Analysis), 3 intro-level physics courses (E&M, Thermal, Wave&Quantum), an introductory statistics and an elementary music theory course. I did that just for fun but it dragged down my GPA from 3.9+ to 3.6+. This semester I have only 6 courses (Piano, General Chem II, Organic Chem I, Discrete Math, upper-level QM and upper-level Linear Algebra) but still feel stressed. I procrastinate with readings/homework. I think I'm burning out and not interested in theoretical physics or pure math any more. Thus I want to change my major to some more "applied" and interesting fields such as Computer Engineering/Electrical Engineering/Engineering Science(ESc).

My ultimate goal is to go to a top graduate school, get a PhD and do research in academia or industry. I want to know your opinion and I'm not ask something "for sure".

1. Do typical grad admission committees in engineering favor an extra science major (eg. double EE/PHYS or double CE/PHYS or triple ESc/PHYS/MATH) or an extra engineering major (eg. double EE/ESc or double CE/EE) or save time and take more higher level courses (eg. grad courses) in the engineering field? Do they really care about double/triple major? Do they care about advanced courses (A- avg grade) on transcript? (PS. ESc is a competitive honor major. PPS. We have Physics degree with EE concentration.)

2. If they do care about the advanced courses, is it beneficial to take courses in other (but relative) fields? For example take some MEMS/MOEMS courses by ESc department when I am an EE student.

3. Breadth or depth? If well planned, I can take ALL the undergrad EE courses and graduate in four years. Alternatively, I can take only one course from each branch of EE and focus on a specific field (most likely the field of my undergrad research) and take all the undergard and grad courses in that field.

4. Is it better for graduate admission if I do intensive research and advanced courses in an extra year (i.e. graduate in five years)?

5. If I won't keep my physics major, is it useful to get a physics minor? I can get a minor with only a couple of physics electives (eg. Solid State, E&M II, QM II, etc.) which might be useful in engineering.

For all the questions above, assume I can keep a GPA around 3.8 and do research from the second semester of the sophomore year.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't get passed the first paragraph without having to say. If your school system is equivalent to mine, and you took 28 credits in one semester (especially the listed ones), and you are still alive. I would be amazed if you weren't burnt out.

If you keep taking 28 credits a semester without killing yourself, there won't be any courses left to take if you make it into grad school. :)

The worst year I had in engineering school (also when I was a sophomore) was about 21 credits, and you couldn't procrastinate for very long without getting too far behind in doing homework or studying for exams. For this particular year, it was all coursework (reading texts and doing problems) with no project work, and thankfully only one lab course (metallurgy).

462chevelle said:
I can't get passed the first paragraph without having to say. If your school system is equivalent to mine, and you took 28 credits in one semester (especially the listed ones), and you are still alive. I would be amazed if you weren't burnt out.
Yes, the workload was ridiculous but still doable. In the middle of this semester I suddenly got a loss of interest and I realized I was burnt out.

SteamKing said:
If you keep taking 28 credits a semester without killing yourself, there won't be any courses left to take if you make it into grad school. :)

The worst year I had in engineering school (also when I was a sophomore) was about 21 credits, and you couldn't procrastinate for very long without getting too far behind in doing homework or studying for exams. For this particular year, it was all coursework (reading texts and doing problems) with no project work, and thankfully only one lab course (metallurgy).
Well since I'm not a masochist, I won't do it again. I will take ~20 credits each semester and enjoy my life. ;- ) But still I have a chance to take all the EE courses in my school (with an extra semester/year).

I guess I just don't know what it's like to be able to go to school without having a family to support at the same time. I won't go passed 14 credits a semester. If you ask me 20 is still to much even if you don't have a job and other things to do. You will have more fun if you take less credits and join Physics/Math/Chem clubs. You will also get better relationships with your professors that way.

It depends how long you want to take to graduate. If an undergrad engineering degree requires 128 credits, for example, you will need an average of 16 credits a semester if you plan to graduate in 4 years. Of course, due to scheduling of when classes are offered, you may have to take more credits some semesters than this average.

1. How do I know if I should change my major in engineering?

Deciding whether or not to change your major in engineering can be a difficult decision. It is important to carefully consider your interests, strengths, and goals. If you find yourself struggling in your current engineering courses or feeling uninterested in the subject matter, it may be a sign that you should consider changing your major. It is also helpful to speak with academic advisors and professors to gain more insight into the various engineering disciplines and their career paths.

2. What steps should I take to change my major in engineering?

The process for changing your major in engineering may vary depending on your university's policies. Generally, you will need to meet with an academic advisor to discuss your options and complete any necessary paperwork. You may also need to meet with a representative from the engineering department you wish to transfer into to ensure you meet their requirements. It is important to start this process early to avoid any potential delays.

3. Will changing my major affect my chances of getting into graduate school for engineering?

Changing your major in engineering should not significantly impact your chances of getting into graduate school. Admissions committees will still consider your academic performance, research experience, and letters of recommendation. However, if you are changing to a significantly different engineering discipline, you may need to take additional courses to meet the prerequisites for your desired graduate program.

4. What should I consider when choosing a graduate program in engineering?

When choosing a graduate program in engineering, it is important to consider the research opportunities, faculty expertise, and resources available in your chosen field. You should also consider the location, cost, and reputation of the program. It is also helpful to reach out to current graduate students or alumni to gain more insight into the program and their experiences.

5. Is it possible to switch to a graduate program in engineering if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a graduate program in engineering if your undergraduate degree is in a different field. However, you may need to take additional courses to meet the prerequisites for your desired program. It is also recommended to gain research experience or take relevant courses in your chosen engineering discipline to strengthen your application. Admissions committees will also consider your academic performance and relevant experience when evaluating your application.