What’s the most important factor in graduate admissions?

In summary: So if your GPA is lower than average consider taking steps to raise it.In summary, the most important factors for U.S. graduate schools in physics are GPA, GRE and letters of recommendation.
astroman707
I want to get a poll going...
When U.S graduate schools consider applicants for physics, what are the most important factors they consider in admissions? —RANK THEM—

*Consider both theoretical and applied applicants.

Physics news on Phys.org
A poll? Is a large number of incorrect answers better than a single correct one?

astroman707 said:
I want to get a poll going...
When U.S graduate schools consider applicants for physics, what are the most important factors they consider in admissions? —RANK THEM—

*Consider both theoretical and applied applicants.

This is absurd.

Unless someone has already been involved in graduate admission and selecting applicants, such a poll from people who have never done it will give you, at best, guesses! How does this help you in any way?

Shouldn't you be spending more time trying to learn about conservation of momentum rather than what admission offices are looking for?

Zz.

Likes Vanadium 50
Vanadium 50 said:
A poll? Is a large number of incorrect answers better than a single correct one?
We all know that admissions criteria can vary between universities, between departments, and between the individual committee members. Therefore, it’s beneficial to get an understanding of what various criteria those might be. Whether from a previous admissions member, a faculty member, or someone who maybe has some relevant knowledge pertaining the topic. There’s not one correct answer, so trying to gather up answers into a sorr of composite one seems like a good place to start.

ZapperZ said:
This is absurd.

Unless someone has already been involved in graduate admission and selecting applicants, such a poll from people who have never done it will give you, at best, guesses! How does this help you in any way?

Shouldn't you be spending more time trying to learn about conservation of momentum rather than what admission offices are looking for?

Zz.
...That’s exactly the type of people I’m looking for. This is a large physics forum, and there are plenty of members on this site that either have been a committee member, has some valuable knowledge regarding admissions, or are faculty members who have valuable knowledge. Thanks for trolling...

In my experience, the usual suspects tend to be quite highly correlated with each other... GPA, GRE, reference letters, research experience, related extra-curricular work, etc.

So it's rare that you get an applicant with a mediocre GPA who has outstanding letters of reference or vice versa.

For a student working to get into graduate school I would probably emphasize: (1) Understanding the core material and building the best foundation you can, (2) challenging yourself with interesting courses and experiences related to directions you want to explore, (3) developing a good academic network, (4) learning and developing skills for writing exams and managing your time. The "good numbers" tend to follow for students who are more focused on things like this in my experience.

Likes symbolipoint and astroman707
First, there is a difference between soliciting a range of opinions, and taking a poll, where one counts answers. Particularly here, where high schoolers and even the occasional middle schooler is more than happy to provide advice for graduate school.

The three main factors are GPA, GRE and letters of recommendation. As Choppy says, they are usually correlated. Because of that the most import is the lowest one.

Last edited:

What is the most important factor in graduate admissions?

The most important factor in graduate admissions varies depending on the specific program and university. Generally, a combination of academic excellence, relevant experience, strong letters of recommendation, and a well-written personal statement are important factors.

What is the minimum GPA required for graduate admissions?

There is no set minimum GPA required for graduate admissions, as it also depends on the program and university. However, most competitive programs usually require a GPA of at least 3.0 or higher.

Do I need to have research experience to get into a graduate program?

Research experience is not always a requirement for graduate admissions, but it can be a valuable asset. It shows that you have practical experience in your field of study and can handle the demands of graduate-level research.

How important are letters of recommendation in the graduate admissions process?

Letters of recommendation are an important aspect of the graduate admissions process. They provide insight into your academic abilities and personal characteristics from the perspective of someone who has worked closely with you, such as a professor or employer.

Should I retake the GRE if my score is below average?

If your GRE score is below average, it may be beneficial to retake the exam. However, keep in mind that graduate admissions committees also consider other factors, so a strong overall application can compensate for a lower GRE score. It is best to consult with the specific program to determine if a retake is recommended.