1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Fall courses, need to decide

1. Aug 9, 2008 #1
    Ok, I originally wanted to do only take 4 courses so I could work at least 20 hours a week. Now I feel the urge to graduate so I found a 5th course.

I go to University of Houston

Abstract Algebra
    Advanced Linear Algebra 1
    Differential Equations
    Intermediate Analysis
    Managerial Accounting

I have friends that also take 5 courses in a semester, but now all Math-driven courses.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So... what are your options? What are you deciding between?

4. Aug 9, 2008 #3
    Either 4 or 5 courses. Main problem is that, all but 1 is a Math course. If I take 4, I will be able to work more; taking 5 will help me graduate faster. The only course that I can drop is Adv. Linear Algebra, but I'd like to take it now since I took Intro to Linear Algebra on June. I will be taking Abstract and Adv. LA with the same and good reputable Professor.

5. Aug 9, 2008 #4
    I'd go with four if I were you. However, if you can do five, then go for it.

6. Aug 9, 2008 #5
    Hi,
    I've BEEN there! I wanted to graduate, so I took a heavier load to get through the course work. I had the same type of dilemma that you are talking about. Hind sight is 20/20. In my case, I believe that it was a mistake. I made HUGE sacrifices. I got through it , but when it was all said and done, ONE more semester wouldn't have been that bad and I would have been in a MUCH less stressful state of mind.

I don't know what your situation is (KIDS?) What type of work do you do?

Working 20 hours and taking 5 classes will tax you. You just have to ask yourself if you can maintain that pace for 16 weeks...I did it, but I was SO tired and my relationship with my husband suffered a LOT because we never saw each other.

It was a temporary situation and we did OK. I just would have liked to ENJOY my classes and my job and my life for those 4 months instead of stressing about getting to work and trying to make time to study and time to see my very nice husband...but it was ONLY 4 months....

Best of luck.
    CC

7. Aug 9, 2008 #6
    Thank you for the kind responses. I am pretty much a full-time student, but I won't deny that I would love to have some fun and meet more people. I am a private tutor, and it really drives me to continue getting better at math and teaching. I don't have to work 20 hours, but it would be awesome if I could since I love to work and I'm money driven as well. I really do want to take my education seriously since I want to have my own private tutoring center. I have quite a few students, but it's very was work.

I currently don't go out that much, and I find myself bored out of my mind since I have so much free time.

8. Aug 9, 2008 #7

Defennder

Homework Helper

Some courses go well with each together. Advanced linear algebra for example, complements abstract algebra. I'm not too sure about analysis, though. You might want to factor this in should you decide to drop one of those classes.

9. Aug 9, 2008 #8
    Intermediate Analysis is my primary concern, but it opens up other courses for me to take so I really have no choice :(

10. Aug 9, 2008 #9

Defennder

Homework Helper

Why are you considering managerial accounting then? Is it a major requirement? From what I can see, DE, linear algebra and abstract should go well together. Since you have to do analysis as pre-req, then I'd suppose you have to take it this semester.

11. Aug 9, 2008 #10
    I'm doing a BS in Mathematics with Finance Option :-\ Just in case my plans of my own tutoring center change. I could probably take it some other time. Next summer, I plan on taking at least 4 courses, but mainly the courses to satisfy my Finance minor.

12. Aug 10, 2008 #11
    My brother is a senior Finance major. Sounds like it is hard stuff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?