Fallin with constant speed what is the force of air resistnace

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
kennymr22
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 1.26 samara-the winged fruit of a maple tree-falls toward the ground with a constant speed of 1.1
What is the force of air resistance exerted on the samara?



Homework Equations



F=ma I thought that the force of air resistance would have to be equal to mg

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried 12.4N but said I was wrong, not sure what to do now? Any help please.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey man the fruit experience a drag force and a resistive force(air resist) against its motion so the forces in the x direction of the fruit would be f+Fa=ma where f is the drag force and Fa the air resist. constant speed would mean the terminal velocity with that you can find the drag force just use these values and you can find the air resistance.