1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling body where acceleration is not constant

1. Mar 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Most physics problems that involve a falling body assume constant acceleration. How does one account for the changing acceleration if a body is dropped from a very high altitude?

2. Relevant equations
    With constant acceleration, d = (1/2)at^2 or t = sqrt(2d/a)
    but a is not really constant so How is this solved.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My first thought was to do a piece wise solution. Start at a given altitude, assume a small time, say one second and calculate the distance traveled. Then calculate the acceleration based on the new distance between bodies and continue. Is there a closed form solutio?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is this really homework?

Anyway, the direct approach involves solving a differential equation.

Alternatively, you could consider conservation of energy.

4. Mar 23, 2015 #3
    No, this is not homework but rather a problem I would like to know the answer to. I figured that a diff equation would be required but I don't see the trick in solving it. Ultimately, I would like to get the altitude as a function of time but since the acceleration is a function of altitude I am not sure how to set this up.

5. Mar 23, 2015 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose an object of mass ##m## starts at rest from a height ##h##. How long does it take to fall, using a varying gravitational force?

You can start with energy conservation using gravitational potential. Let ##r## be the distance from the centre of the Earth, ##M## the mass of the earth, and ##R## is the radius of the Earth.

##PE(r) = -\frac{GMm}{r}##

##KE(r) + PE(r) = PE(R+h)##

##\frac{1}{2}m(\frac{dr}{dt})^2 = \frac{GMm}{r} - \frac{GMm}{R+h}##

That gives you a differential equation in ##r##.

The trick to solving it is to let ##r = (R+h)cos^2(\theta)##

6. Mar 23, 2015 #5
    I understand how you used the conservation of energy to get the differential equation.
    However, I seem to need another hint to see how to use the substitution r = (R+h)(cos A)^2

7. Mar 23, 2015 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just plug it in and simplify. For example:

##\frac{dr}{dt} = -2(R+h)cos(\theta)sin(\theta)\frac{d \theta}{dt}##

As you can see, things get worse before they get better!

8. Mar 23, 2015 #7
    Looks like you can integrate to get r = (R+h)(sin A)^2 but then using the change of variable for limits gets messy.

Maybe my numerical approach might be better to get a velocity at a specific height but I wold have rather get a closed form solution.

I see why this is not a Physics homework problem.

9. Mar 24, 2015 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's not too bad. We have:

##\frac{1}{2}m(\frac{dr}{dt})^2 = \frac{GMm}{r} - \frac{GMm}{R+h}##

##(\frac{dr}{dt})^2 = 2GM\frac{R+h-r}{r(R+h)}##

Letting ##r = (R+h)cos^2(\theta)## gives

##4(R+h)^2cos^2(\theta)sin^2(\theta)(\frac{d \theta}{dt})^2 = \frac{2GM(R+h)(1 - cos^2(\theta))}{(R+h)^2 cos^2(\theta)}##

Which simplifies to:

##cos^2(\theta)(\frac{d \theta}{dt}) = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{2(R+h)^3}}##

We can then integrate from ##t = 0, \ \ r = R + h, \ \ \theta = 0## to ##t = T, \ \ r = R + z, \ \ \theta = \theta_z##

Which gives the time ##T## taken to fall from a height ##h## to a height ##z##

##T = \sqrt{\frac{(R+h)^3}{8GM}}(2 \theta_z + sin(2 \theta_z)) \ \ (\theta_z = cos^{-1}(\sqrt{\frac{R+z}{R+h}}))##

To get the time to fall to the ground, you just set ##z = 0##

I checked this formula out and found that for a fall of 1,000m the difference is only 0.002s compared to using the constant surface gravity.

10. Mar 24, 2015 #9
    Wow! I would never have solved this problem. The real reason I wanted to solve his problem is that I was reading a si fi novel where an asteroid caused the moon to stop orbiting around he earth. I wondered how long it would take for the moon to collide with the earth if it were not moving in its orbit. Then I wanted to know what an observer would see as the moon got closer and closer to the earth. Now I can figure it out.

thanks

11. Mar 24, 2015 #10

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For something as far as the moon, you can get an estimate by taking ##R = 0##. In which case:

##T = \pi \sqrt{\frac{h^3}{8GM}}##

Where ##h## is the distance to the moon, give or take the Earth and moon radii.

12. Mar 24, 2015 #11
    I calculate 4.76 days. Now for the final question. What would be the relationship between distance or height and time, i.e. distance = f(time)?
    From this I could calculate the angular size vs time. It obviously would not be parabolic as the acceleration is continually changing.

I recall a movie recently where some planet was going to hit the earth and the movie ended with the star, Kirsten Duntz as I recall sitting on her and watching patio as the approaching planet got slowly larger and larger.

13. Mar 24, 2015 #12

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can get it from that equation. We can set ##R = 0##, then we have:

##T = \sqrt{\frac{h^3}{8GM}}(2 \theta_z + sin(2 \theta_z)) \ \ (\theta_z = cos^{-1}(\sqrt{\frac{z}{h}}))##

That gives you the time at distance ##z##.

You could use a spreadsheet to calculate ##T## for whatever set of distances you want.

14. Mar 24, 2015 #13
    Will do. thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted