1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove energy of a falling body is constant

1. Jun 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that the enrgy of a falling body remains constat using the derivate of a function

2. Relevant equations

We need to prove that:

[tex] \frac{mv^2}{2} + mgh [/tex] is constant, trhat is its derivate equals 0

3. The attempt at a solution

Let the positive direction be downward. Applying Newton's second law we get:

[tex] mg = F = ma [/tex]

Now I differentiated the expression and I got:

[tex] Fv + \frac{dh}{dt}mg [/tex]

If I replace mg with F, I get:

[tex] F(v+\frac{dh}{dt}) [/tex]

Now, how do I show that this equals 0? I don'y get it. I know that probably some elemntary fact is escaping me, but what? Could you please explain me? Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello.

How is dh/dt related to v?

4. Jun 1, 2014 #3
    I think I've found the answer. If dx is the change in the position of the body, then dx=-dh, so dh/dt=-dx/dt=-v, right? Another way I thought about it would be. Let A be a point such that h=AB, where B it's at ground level. Let O an arbitrary point in space, that it's on the direction of AB. Then we have that OA+ AB is constat, that is x+h is constant, and this means that d(x+h)/dt=0 . I believe that both arguments are solid and correct, but could you please give me your opinion?

5. Jun 1, 2014 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. That looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted