Prove energy of a falling body is constant

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
DorelXD
Messages
126
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Prove that the energy of a falling body remains constat using the derivate of a function

Homework Equations



We need to prove that:

[tex]\frac{mv^2}{2} + mgh[/tex] is constant, trhat is its derivate equals 0

The Attempt at a Solution



Let the positive direction be downward. Applying Newton's second law we get:

[tex]mg = F = ma[/tex]

Now I differentiated the expression and I got:

[tex]Fv + \frac{dh}{dt}mg[/tex]

If I replace mg with F, I get:

[tex]F(v+\frac{dh}{dt})[/tex]

Now, how do I show that this equals 0? I don'y get it. I know that probably some elemntary fact is escaping me, but what? Could you please explain me? Thank you very much!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

How is dh/dt related to v?
 
I think I've found the answer. If dx is the change in the position of the body, then dx=-dh, so dh/dt=-dx/dt=-v, right? Another way I thought about it would be. Let A be a point such that h=AB, where B it's at ground level. Let O an arbitrary point in space, that it's on the direction of AB. Then we have that OA+ AB is constat, that is x+h is constant, and this means that d(x+h)/dt=0 . I believe that both arguments are solid and correct, but could you please give me your opinion?
 
Yes. That looks good.