1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling egg question (with energy equations)

1. Nov 30, 2008 #1
    An egg of mass 5.8*10^-2 is dropped from a height of 1.5m onto a floor. Assuming air resistance is negligable, calculate for the egg:

a) loss of potential energy.
    b) the kinetic enrgy just before impact.
    c) the speed just before impact
    d) the momentum just before impact.

So far i have done the potential energy one, and now im stuck on the others. As the equation for KE is KE=1/2mV^2 but we do not know the velocity. And i cannot find out the velocity because we dont have the time either. So i was just wondering how i would work out b-d as all of their equations require velocity.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2008 #2
    I hope you are familiar with the concept of energy conservation. What happens to all that potential energy lost when it's dropped?
  4. Nov 30, 2008 #3
    oh ok, does that mean that the kinetic energy will be the same as the loss of potential energy then? But still, how do i work out the speed and momentum?
  5. Nov 30, 2008 #4
    Right, you now have KE before impact, and that KE = 1/2mv^2...
  6. Nov 30, 2008 #5
    Thanks alot! think ive done it now!
  7. Jan 14, 2010 #6
    Conservation of Energy is easy. But to clarify, you can still calculate the velocity without it.
    The egg has been dropped => initial velocity is zero!
    All freely falling bodies accelerate at g which is 9.8m/s2
    The body traveled 1.5m before hitting the ground.
    You will need two equations and work a little more.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?